This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Johnny's Training Log

Started by John Sapinoso, March 11, 2008 · 194 Replies · 14,660 Views

Joshua Naterman
ts00nami said:
11222009

Ran an Urbanathalon.

Consited of a 5k and a few obstacles including: 10 four-foot hurdles, a metal cage to traverse in and out of, 16 flights of stairs, a 20 foot military crawl and an 8 foot vertical wall.

Pretty fun, time was around 28 minutes.

Dude that sounds like a blast!!!!!

John Sapinoso

oh it was loads of fun, here's a few shots:

13845_1203073790808_1047480144_30553345_1179232_n.jpg

13845_1203606564127_1047480144_30554989_2962463_n.jpg

13845_1203077990913_1047480144_30553382_260608_n.jpg

13845_1203606404123_1047480144_30554986_7577796_n.jpg

13845_1203606604128_1047480144_30554990_3120083_n.jpg

13845_1203606684130_1047480144_30554992_4132666_n.jpg

Joshua Naterman

AAAAAH! I love the buff face! Arnold would be proud :)

Razz

Are you flipping in picture 3?

and shit thats some guns :twisted:

John Sapinoso

11242009

shoulder stability

scapular mobility

3 rounds

12 second cross

10 reverse curls (bar)

1 minute elbow massage

ball massage on sore legs

notes:

head ache and feeling a bit sick. crosses feel absolutely amazing though.

started doing a few exercises but wasn't feeling up to completing them; did a set of 5 reverse muscle ups a set of 3 fl pulls rotated 90 degrees on each side and 10 second oafl assisted holds.

Blaming this on the fact that i went rowing in manila bay, which is infamously grotesque and dirty, and my diet has been rather lacking both in caloric content and quality as of late.

sasquatch

Wow, you're super buff, man.

John Sapinoso

haha thanks sash,

11252009

shoulder and scapula warmup

3 rounds:

10 reverse curls with bar

12 second maltese

5 OAC

1 minute massage

3 rounds:

2 back bends

1 minute massage

notes:

head and focus felt much better today,

I'm almost certain weight fluctuation is a function of my diet. I weighed 175 again today, 5 lbs up in one day? I'm aware that daily, and even weekly fluctuation means little but 5 in one day is a rather large variability. I'm not too concerned with this as it doesn't seem to affect me much, just a little puzzled.

Malteses felt amazingly controlled except last one.

last one i felt something weird in my right bicep, it felt sore really quickly. so i cut my workout short and moved on to back bends

back bends were pretty good today, not as great as last time but the bicep distracted from my cocentraion.

hopefully the bicep thing is nothing bad!

will continue to massage and ice

Dreadrok

good luck man your OAC work is awesomeness... you ever get that 1 arm handstand pushup?

:mrgreen:

John Sapinoso

OAHSPU isn't a high priority in my training, but i'm happy with the progress i'm slowly making.

aye not as consistent as i should be lately, did an hour of scbua diving earleir today and about 3 hours of playing around with some new parkour friends in the park the day before but no real workouts.

11292009

shoulders and scapulae

3 rounds:

15 second BL

3 OAFLP

15 second PL

5 BgHSPU

15 second FL

6 S-FL-twists, 6 hanging oblique twists, 10 second L hold

finished with 4 bridge walks

lots of ball massage and stretching.

notes:

I'm slowly reversing some of the chronic pain and regaining some of the lower back mobility I've lost through the years and ball massages are helping drastically.

Joshua Naterman

Congrats on your lower back progress! I'm working on my middle and upper back the same way. I have very little mobility in my upper spine in terms of bridging ability, but that may be due to a compression fracture of T6 and T7 when I was 14. :lol:

Regardless, I'm massaging every day with the roller and it's helping with pretty much everything.

Can you make a video of the S-FL-twists and your hanging oblique twists? I'm curious about what you are doing.

jl5555
ts00nami said:
.......finished with 4 bridge walks

lots of ball massage and stretching.

notes:

I'm slowly reversing some of the chronic pain and regaining some of the lower back mobility I've lost through the years and ball massages are helping drastically.

You might try to offset the bridge walks with weighted pikes. I use a 30lb barbell for this. Coach Sommers talks about it a bit.

Prior to bridge walks I also prefer to warm up a bit with a couple of rounds of Ido Portal's rotation into bridge against the wall. The active rotational stretch side to side is awesome.

John Sapinoso

sliz,

sure, next time i due these i'll film them.

jl,

good idea, i normally do them seated or standing but without the weights. i plan on working up to weighted pikes. i'll check out idos rotational stuff, he always has interesting and effective prep.

Joshua Naterman

Thanks :) I am looking forward to it!

John Sapinoso

12012009

shoulders and scapulae

3 rounds:

12 seconds cross

10 reverse curls 10 lbs + bar

1 minute elbow stretch and massage

3 rounds:

5 FL rows + 5 second hold

5 PLPU + 5 second hold

finished with lots of self massage and stretch

notes:

elbows feel fine

rows were very extended

plpu tuck concentric, straddle eccentric

John Sapinoso

I found a few entries in my facebook blog of occasional workouts i had done in my year or so of not training regularly, kind of interesting for me to look back at:

i annotated tempos the first number is descent, second is bottom third is ascent, fourth is top

xpf meant stop at positional failure

<<< means as slowly as possible

>>> means quickly

5/29/09 - Garage

1 x 5: BgD>Sd-PL; 2.2.2.2.

2 x 3: IC > T-PL; 2.2.2.2.

60s: Sd-PL; XPF.

60s: IC; XPF.

2 x 5: SOT (L/R); 2.2.2.0 on rings"

5/30/09 - garage

1 x 5: RTOBTB; 2.0.2.1

2 x 3: RTOBTB > BL(-); <<<.2.kip.0.

60s: 1/2 HSPU; XPF

2 x 5: OAFL (-) (L/R); >>>.2.<<<.0.

2 x 5: FL-T (L/R); 2.1.2.1

6/03/09

"the day of three"

3x3: IC-Pulls; 3.3.3.0.

repeat for a total of three times.

each set has 3^1 reps

each rep had 3^2 second of work

total seconds per set is 3^3

total seconds is 3^4

or 81 seconds of cross time today.

6/04/09

3 x 60: bottom 1/2 ROM BgD->10 second hold upon completion of set; >>>>>

repeat for a total of 3 times a day

06/07/09

3x2: IC>Sd-PL; 3.3.3.3.

3x5; l>v; 2.2.2.2. supported

60sec: 1/2 press; xpf

1 x 5: Wide MU; 3.3.3.0.

3 x 3: BgD; <<<.3.<<<.3.

3 x 2: IC>Pl; 3.3.3.3.

06/11/09

1x5: FL-rocks; <<<.2<<<.0.

3x3: OAFL-rocks (L/R) ;1.1.1.1.

06/12/09

1 x 5: BgD;<<<

5 x 1: Azarian > Nakayama

I've learned a lot reading through these. The elusive obvious being that I practice only what I like, even if that is not optimal. Have I changed at all? Sure, but only in the sense that I've learned to like a wider variety of things. I'm wondering if it is better the growth be learning to like things and then including them, or rather doing things even though I don't enjoy them as much.

I never did any active back flexibility work until just recently. I didn't particularly enjoy it at first, but I enjoyed the mobility it cultivated, and in time learned to like the process.

I'm making a conscious decision to be more appreciative of movement in every plane and all directions; but more importantly, to thoroughly enjoy the process.

Joshua Naterman

Learn to love the work :) You will start thinking of new ways to get better all the time!

John Sapinoso

12032009

3 rounds:

10 wrist extensor up and down

10 wrist extensor rotation

12 second maltese

2 rounds:

30 seconds forearm pulse massage

30 seconds cross fiber massage

30 seconds longitudinal massage

3 rounds:

5 XR BgHSPU

8 wrist pushups ido's variation

2 rounds:

30 seconds forearm pulse massage

30 seconds cross fiber massage

30 seconds longitudinal massage

notes:

wrist work done on with a 2lbs ankle weight on a lever of approximately 5 feet in length from my hand

maltese felt great, i've reached a point where i can lock into position and relax some of my muscles so my breath flows with unrestricted ease.

using my hands for massage today instead of the regular ball so i can feel my muscles on two fronts; through the actual fiber being worked on and through the fingers working the fibers.

BgHSPU toes barely skimmed the inside of straps on either direction when my body slightly waivered from a rock solid free balancing position.

Wrist pushups done at a very slow tempo, felt amazing.

Razz

What is ido's version of wrist pushups?

and i like how you treat your massages as a workout "2 rounds of massage" :mrgreen:

John Sapinoso

its described in coach sommer's wrist push up thread but the basic jist of it is that you start on back hand and straight arm and wrist extension happens on the way down for the push up.

It's a rehab technique, logging and quantifying it along with my workouts is a simple way to encourage me to proliferate this practice and track its progress. . . but after a while the pulsing grip massage made my massaging hand a little sore [=

Razz

Pure grip endurance training, I make some of that sometimes aswell :lol: but yeah I see why you're doing it :D

John Sapinoso

grip endurance has more to do with wrist flexors than extensors. the main reason i'm doing this is for my elbow health. on iron cross days i'll incorporate bicep / elbow rehab and on maltese days i'll incorporate forearm / elbow rehab. i'm wondering which way to pair this is more beneficial though and any input would be appreciated. My assumption is that since malteses are more intensive on the bicep, so on one hand i wouldn't want to fatigue my bicep with rehab; but conversely, in the WOD, BL is always paired with some sort of bicep targeting movement and MT is closer to BL.

Razz

The grip training was a little joke if you get it :P

John Sapinoso

more of a therapeutic massage than raw gripping strength if you ask me

:lol:

John Sapinoso

12052009

15 shoulder + scapulae

15 wrist extensors

3 rounds:

3 shoulder stand reverse to BL

3 bridge walks

massage;

lower back, biceps, elbows

3 rounds:

6 straddle back lever twists

10 reverse curls

massage;

lower back, elbows, forearms

Steam bath;

10 minutes

ball roller massage

cold and hot shower alternation

notes:

shoulder and scapulae prep is working wonders

shoulder stand reverse to bl have become more manageable with less rest times, I've also added a 3 second static hold at the pseudo maltese position

bridge walks are coming along, got one as a recognizable back bend.

straddle back lever twists are a uniquely difficult movement, this is an inspired alternate to a similar exercise I learned about a while ago done in a straddle planche.

reverse curls i used the bar today.

in sauna self massage feels amazing.

John Sapinoso

12072009

15 shoulders, scap, wrists

3 rounds:

10 second iron cross

10 reverse curls

3 one arm yewkis

finished with 1 more set of wrists

notes:

feeling really strong and "meatier" than normal as i've been eating better, weighed myself and down to 167, amusing more than anything else

set strap length on iron crosses so i could pull to a cross from a sitting L on the floor, after 10 seconds, pulled towards the direction of maltese orientation. elbows feel better than perfect, slight tweak in anterior right deltoid. crosses did not aggravate feeling but still want to make a note of it. *edit* actually it just popped and alleviated itself while yawning

reverse curls used bar weight and a slower than normal tempo so i could consciously feel for any odd feelings in my elbow. upon analysis however,it would probably be better to do a faster tempo and higher volume since this is prehab, not aimed at maximal strength.

one arm yewkis are pretty challenging, first round through I was going to do oafl rows but opted for a multi planar exercise.

look here for a video update within the coming days. . .