This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Johnny's Training Log

Started by John Sapinoso, March 11, 2008 · 194 Replies · 14,660 Views

John Sapinoso

thanks guys,

Today:

continued with modified PM workouts. 1 more week of this then back to 2x.

shoulders scap wrists and rotator

3 x 30 sec advanced L

60 seconds front lever

3x5 yewki

3x5 front lever rocks

3x30 seconds kipping pull ups

cool down

shoulders scap wrists and rotator

John Sapinoso

PR today!:

3 reps cuban press with dumbbells at 45% body weight (40lbs x 2)

1 rep cuban press with dumbbells at 51.5% body weight (45lbs x 2)

other notable things today: did 4 x 5-7 gatherings without falling in my dynamic press day.

John Sapinoso

after 3 months of temporary full time at a new job, i'm moving back down to part time, so that means more time for training!

*New changes*

-I changed to WOD during my lunch break for the past monthish and will continue with it until co-workers complain of my body odour

-Supplementation: (for the past weekish)

20-40 gr whey / concentrate post workout(s)

15-30 gr BCAA / pre during and post workout(s) (this tastes like regurgitated burnt hair and ass)

10-20 gr fish oil / day

4-6 gr chelated magnesium / day

2 gr zma before bed

*New plans*

-plan to add regular FSP and more band work as a separate morning session

-plan to take regular capoeira classes next month

-plan to get glutamine and glycine next month

Razz

Cool with some serious nutrition but 4-6g mag/day? :o

Joshua Naterman
ts00nami said:
PR today!:

3 reps cuban press with dumbbells at 45% body weight (40lbs x 2)

1 rep cuban press with dumbbells at 51.5% body weight (45lbs x 2)

other notable things today: did 4 x 5-7 gatherings without falling in my dynamic press day.

Do you mean 70 and 75 lbs? I don't think you weigh 87.3 lbs. ... sigh... Those are each dumb bell... *face palm*

Nice work!

John Sapinoso

Razz: yep, 2-3 scoops of magnesium, i was experimenting with higher and i got diareah around 5 scoops haha

Sliz: My working sets are usually 30-35lbs though. Playing around with 1rm doesn't feel responsible or safe :oops:

Joshua Naterman

I hear that!

Razz

Haha diarrea, nice! Why is it that you are taking this crazy dose? Any other persons you know had good results with it or?

Joshua Naterman

I know Ido loves the magnesium! I've been taking a bit more magnesium lately and I don't know for sure how it is affecting me, but I'm not having any problems with it!

One thing to keep in mind is that your digestive tract has .25 inches of space that absorbs ALL metals, and they compete for absorption. So if you're taking large doses of MAG it will crowd out other metals you may be taking at the same time. Just a FYI that if, for example, you are supplementing Iron or something like that, you will not get good absorption if it is competing with 2 grams of magnesium! Separating doses works perfectly, so you wouldn't want to take any supplemental metals with your vitamin since it's kind of a toss up as to what gets absorbed between your supplemental Mag(example) and the iron and whatever else in the vitamin. No sense in doing that when you can just take your mag a little later and not have to worry about it.

Razz

Yep definately Slizz.. however I thought the whole point of amino acid chelated minerals was to avoid that competition for absorption? Soon I will be adding in 1g of mag chelates post workout.. that gets me to 2g/day with 2 doses ZMA before bed.

John Sapinoso

I was deficient in magnesium when I was tested years ago, I'm basing it off of that although Im not sure how relevant it will be to my present day levels. It helped resolve my lower back pain when I was still competing. I plan on getting blood work done ASAP. Also I read a post by Ido and he mentioned chelated magnesium is hard to reach the point of diminishing returns, even with higher doses.

Sliz this is all true, however I monitor what I eat an hour before taking magnesium, especially anythign high in calcium. I plan on ditching the multi vitamin completely soon (i actually just ran out so that's perfect) and separating all of my supplements. oh and i hover between 170-177 lbs

John Sapinoso

my bad :oops: , just re read the label and it's 400 mg per serving not 2g haha i dont know where i got that number from, i take 2-4 scoops of magnesium per day along with 1-1.5 scoops zma for a total of 1.25-2.275 gr

John Sapinoso

Recently left the Philippines (aka my training heaven with cheap food, no stress, and warm weather) and returned to the states. Upon arrival a few things were brought back to my attention: people sweat the small stuff, people cannot be found on the street in abundance past 8pm, the difference in temperature is enough to make my joints hurt even without doing exercise (90-100F and humid daily vs 40-50F and dry), food is much, much, more expensive (and tripled in portion sizes), and travelers sickness and diarrhea is no joke.

On the plus side, pedestrians have the right of way, the air outside my house is clean fresh and feels good to breathe (in contrast to the overpopulated dirty smelly polluted Manila air), dirty old men with (several) 18 year old prostitutes are less abundant or more discreet, I'm not sitting in traffic for a a quarter of my day and things like "no soy" "no gluten" "no grain" are more commonplace (I love you trader joes).

Anyways, I tried a WOD my second day back and that was a mistake. The outdoor monkey bars I was holding onto made my hands go numb from the cold. And on my straight arm work, it felt like tendinitis just waiting to happen even though I ran through a complete warm up and downgraded my intensity considerably.

I'm soon to relocate again to much colder climates than California (Washington DC) so I can only expect my joints to hurt more if i continue with the same intensity. As such, I'll be undergoing a maintenance phase and heavy on the prehab while my body re adapts to the temperature and fights off the remnants of travelers sickness. I'll also have to reacclimate to spending more than 75 PHP (1.50 USD) per meal, 250 PHP (5 USD) per massage, 180 PHP (3.60 USD) per haircut and 7-75 PHP ( .14 - 1.50 USD) for transportation.

In my training haven, I had hit some nice benchmarks such as: a 2-3 second flat straddle planche on the floor, pull into a (scapulae retracted) full front lever and hold for 10 seconds with ease on a one inch door frame grip , 90 degree (or more) slow wide muscle up, and an increased prowess on handstands (easily a minute or more every time, a PR of ten consecutive straddle L press handstand) with some (fetal) beginnings in one arms. Hopefully after a short period of recovery and adaptation to climate I'll be able to pick back up not too far behind or right at this point.

[=

Razz

Damn man that was some good strength you had there! If Philippines is more of a training heaven than The States then damn.. I'm pretty sure if I moved to The States I'd think that was the best place in the world to train :mrgreen: But that's just because Denmark is even colder and even more expensive :S

Good luck readjusting! Maybe you should try some probiotics for that stommach ;)

John Sapinoso

wow first post to log in nearly a year

8s2CiPmDT8U

This is the first mash up I've thrown together in a long long time. Proud of my work but while I was editing it I probably saw each clip over 15 times. This gave me critical perspective and I learned a few things:

My roeseler is not as synchronosly multiplanar as I would like it to be. I hit full shoulder stand before any elbow extension occurs. HS should lock and turn with more solidity. Arms tend to bend slightly when pulling into a lever. Lowering into a lever is solid, maybe a touch high; but I like that it's visually apparent in my musculature that I activate my scapular retractors when going into it.

heel striking on my parkour run.

Elbow flexion decreases dramatically when transitioning to a full lay on mechanical advantage sets. Not sure if this is just inherent physics due to leverage or if it's insufficient strength

One cannot hold a count properly while under intense physical stress. Using a timer or a metronome to keep my tempos from now on.

My intermittent lower left back pain is consistent with my unevenness on my planche.

QDR is pretty sloppy and needs more external rotation.

Press handstands and shoulder angles is getting much better, but the stradde hold isnt as active as it shoud be. On the way up I need more trap tension for full shoulder extension

I need to fully charge my camera before leaving hte house [=

Front levers to meat hooks are fun, and an abdominal challege, but the hips should not drop.

Air baby needs work, both the balance aspect and the rotating out in the position.

Tumbling surprised me, haven't done any of it in about 5 years and definitely not on grass. DOMS is consistent with that.

Consistency would foster progress on leg strength, but my lower body is stronger than I give it credit for. Back knee rotates slightly inward on the killer, jump should be tighter and higher. Ring straps make excellent solo spotters for arch ups and get every crack out of your spine. Amortization period is too long on the stair case plyo. Youngs felt pretty good, left leg is higher than right on these though. straddle L should be tighter too.

pseudo one arm kipping hespu may or may not have value, more experimenting necessary. right arm strong as evidenced by angle over shoulder and the amount of straight arm slide / "lift"

HS obstacles are fun, but thats no reason to break form

My chronically tight left inner thigh/groin manifested itself in unilateral asymmestry on my lizard walks

I also need to get more vitamin d, naturally.

any more critique is welcome, please.

One specific question regarding scapula and FL rows / PL PU, should they go through full range or stay locked in their position? ie FL row, retracted the whole time vs protracted at the bottom, retract, pull, lower, protract at the bottom repeat? I know this isn't possible under full load, but you should be scaling down when doing FL rows for reps. I've played around wth isolated scapular retraction in a straddle FL, thoughts on the value / safety of that?

Joshua Naterman

I do scap retraction in flat tuck, and I believe that as long as you hold the neck in a neutral position (meaning you're going to have to pull back with your upper spinal erectors) it is a great idea. You will feel the difference in activation right away, so I suggest you use an easier position to get used to this :) If you're strong enough to do this in straddle then... :shock: ... know what I mean? :)

Excellent video, thanks for sharing! Gave me a lot to look forward to.

Philip Chubb

Awesome video! Very smart use of the rings for doing arch ups. And I visited the gym you went to last week. It was pretty awesome too! I definitely am thinking I will get back there. Keep up the awesome work!

Brozman

Hey man, what's up with you?

John Sapinoso

stealth mode for a few weeks, project underway [=

karraz88

Goku.