Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back injuries, imbalance... a sad state of affairs :(

Chad Hamzeh

Hey guys,

This is a bit of reading so I appreciate everyones time for helping here.

Hoping I can get some feedback in here. Any help is appreciated as this has been a frustrating issue. Alternatively I am in San Diego, if someone knows any great therapists/etc out here.

In the past 5 years I've had about 5 back "pulls". They are always just to the right of the spine, very low, almost the SI joint, and the pain tends to radiate in that area and to the glute.

Twice it's happened in BJJ, the other times were lifting.

Up until about 10 weeks ago I was fine for a couple years, then pulled it bad in BJJ. 

So I rehab'd, got chiro, A.R.T, done egoscue/mbf alignment type stuff, Rolfing etc, all of which has cost a ton of time and money lol.

I started in GB a few weeks ago as well when I was feeling better.

A couple days ago, and yesterday, I had 2 harder BJJ sessions. Last night I did the front split stretch series. This morning I felt a bit tight so before doing my foundation work I did some mobility stuff, warmed up, etc.

Then, I was doing a warmup set on MN-PE1-im, with no weight. I've done this movement many times before.

At the bottom of the movement I felt a slight pinch/pull, unfortunately, again on the right side.

Obviously this is getting disheartening to say the least.

I've done tons of research, implemented spinal/SI joint stability protocols, etc. The stretch series has pointed out that I have a lot of lacking flexibility in certain positions.

Anyway I guess I'm hoping for any feedback on what the issue could be, references to any pros or extra education for me. If I am to look at my "symptoms", I've noticed these a lot:

• left hip much tighter than right

• left erector displays more hypertrophy than right

• right glute max/med slightly smaller than left

• left hip typically wants to rotate forward

• left leg tends to be stronger/slightly bigger in general, but tighter

• left leg "feels" longer. Chiro and therapists have pointed this out as well

Obviously I have some imbalances that have been hard to fix. My first real injury was when I was 16, where I broke my right ankle and tore tendons in it. Like an idiot instead of rehabbing properly, I hopped around on my left leg for a month. Also during my MMA/muay thai career, I was always left leg forward.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Klemen Bobnar

Sounds like a leg length difference. Look at this: 

I think he has good resources on how to deal with this.

You won't like it, but it would be best to stay away from BJJ until you get things fixed at least somewhat. At least from hard rolling.

I have scoliosis and I have found that going slow in terms of progress is the best prevention method. I can do more, but it usually isn't a good idea.

Sounds like a leg length difference. Look at this: 

I think he has good resources on how to deal with this.

You won't like it, but it would be best to stay away from BJJ until you get things fixed at least somewhat. At least from hard rolling.

I have scoliosis and I have found that going slow in terms of progress is the best prevention method. I can do more, but it usually isn't a good idea.

Thanks for that Duff.

Ya I've felt after certain therapies that my leg length was even again, but then within a day its back to the left being longer. I'll check out more of Kits stuff. I've been assessed several times with the left at least appearing longer. When I was in my teens I used to wear orthotics but stopped around 21. I'm 35 now.

thx again

• 2 weeks later...
Dale Rubinstein

I have scoliosis and I have found that going slow in terms of progress is the best prevention method. I can do more, but it usually isn't a good idea.

Dale Rubinstein

^^^Best advice you could ever get. As another member of the scoliosis gst club couldn't agree more. Remember big difference between slowing down and stopping though. Work towqrds understanding your imbalance, what is weak what is tight, what causes pain, what is easy. Than find the most effective path towards getting stronger and balancing. .

For me that meant pulling myself off the mat for about 2 years, but i was clueless initially. With the right direction it should be a lot quicker...

• Upvote 1