Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best exercises to use with a dream machine?

Garrett Smith

Garrett Smith

Hi all, my gym just got a nice dream machine (single pulley set-up).

What are the best exercises to work on with this? It would seem that certain exercises also don't work so well (trying a front lever was weird, I couldn't find a good place for my hands/rings versus the belt).

My major goals on the rings at this point: very smooth muscle-up (I still have to kip a bit to get through the transition, good one for the dream machine because I can do slow reps here), front lever (I've got the back lever), backward roll to support. Eventually I'll start working on an iron cross (I know this is a good one for the dream machine), but I figured I'd get the basic levers and below-to-above rings moves down first...

Thanks in advance.

Garrett Smith

No, it's normal rings run through pulleys and then the ends opposite the rings are attached to a belt around the athlete. It works on the same principles as the Total Gym though, just no sliding board.

The one we have at the gym looks like the left version in this picture:

DreamMachine.jpg

You can't do a front lever on a pully system...And you can do an iron cross with the other exercises.

With pully system you are reducing 50%of body weight.

Garrett Smith
You can't do a front lever on a pully system...

Yep. Found that out last night... :mrgreen:

Guest cccp21
You can't do a front lever on a pully system...And you can do an iron cross with the other exercises.

Did not the eastern boc have mechanisms(machines) to assist the various movements?

I believe the Russians had a planche assistance mechanism.

Brandon Green

Did not the eastern boc have mechanisms(machines) to assist the various movements?

I belive the Russians had a planche assistance mechanism.

Brandon Green

I don't know, but I think they are not neccesary. Even a pully system is not "must to have".

John Sapinoso

it can get in the way of some sequences so id say stick to statics until you figure out the balance on it.

if you're up for it, you currently have all the materials necessary to convert your pulley system to a more helpful counter balance pulley system.

[=

Ricky Dawson

Re: Best exercises to use with a dream machine?

by Razz on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:36 pm

they did have it

http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/47142 ... ption.html

I'm hoping i'm not the only one who thinks that is pretty cool??

Agreed it may not be needed but could help with other ways of training the planche etc.

Is there any evidence of gymnasts ever using such a product?

Ricky, London, England

I'm sure elites in some places must have it :) I think Coach also has his own attachments but i'm not sure, just think i read that somewhere but don't quote me on that

In general, it's better to do spotted work or get your assist some other way.

Halving the weight is a bit too much except if you're like at our level of strength and want to get a feel for how these skills are without having to strength train 3-4+ years to get them.