Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First time poster with a question....

EHILL

Hello All,

My question:

I had surgury about 2 months ago for a hernited disc on my L4 and L5. The doctor has since cleared me to start working out again. I injured my back working out with deadlifts. My back feels better but I know that gymnastics is very intensive and I'm not sure if I should purchase the book and DVD's and start training at a slow pace. On one hand I think resistence is resistence if it comes from weight training or body weight training. I'm a little concerned that some of the gymnastic moves have your body extended of center so I would think it would put alot of pressure on your lower back compared to most weight training lift were most of the moves are more centered. I know this is not a medical forum, I'm just looking for some advice on if I should purchase the book or should I look toward another direction of training.

Thanks for your time.....

Specs:

Height: 6'4

Weight:195 LBS.

Regards,

Eric

what kind of surgery exactly?

It has to do with the lower back.

I'm sure I could purchase the book and just use the begineer workouts and see how it goes from there.

Are there any basic gymnastic movements that don't put alot of pressure on the lower back.

I really would like to make gymnastics apart of my life just not sure if my body is up to the task at the moment.

I guess what I'm try to ask are what would be all of the basic gymnastic movemnets I could preform without putting a ton of pressure on my lower back.

Thanks bst....

what kind of surgery exactly?

It has to do with the lower back.

I'm sure I could purchase the book and just use the begineer workouts and see how it goes from there.

Are there any basic gymnastic movements that don't put alot of pressure on the lower back.

I really would like to make gymnastics apart of my life just not sure if my body is up to the task at the moment.

Thanks bst....

i'm aware that it has to do with the lower back, but need to know exactly what procedure you had done, as this will affect your capabilities. without getting into a long-winded explanation, you need to build up the tissue tolerance over time. there may be some movements that you need to avoid altogether, and others that you'll need to build up strength in to be able to progress. EVERY case is different, which makes it increasingly difficult for medical and rehab professionals to prescribe the proper protocols and give advice on long-term physical activity.

Lumbar disc herniation the herniations was inside the spinal canal at the L4 /L5 level. Surgical approach was by level 1 micro-discectomy . I think that's what you were looking for.

Thanks...

Lumbar disc herniation the herniations was inside the spinal canal at the L4 /L5 level. Surgical approach was by level 1 micro-discectomy . I think that's what you were looking for.

Thanks...

Assuming that the protruding herniation has been removed, and the nerve root and surrounding tissue has had time to heal, now is the time to start building up strength in the surrounding tissues. identifying the weakness that caused the initial injury is key, because that will give you a direction in regards to which aspects you need to strengthen. for example, you need to figure out whether you are "flexion intolerant" or "extension intolerant". i would highly recommend that you read anything you can get your hands on by Dr. Stuart McGill. he is the leading expert on lumbar biomechanics from both a theoretical and practical viewpoint. his evidence-based work focuses on both lab experiments and real-world collaboration with top-level athletes and medical practitioners.

imo, some of the beginner gymnastics holds (as contained in BtGB) fit in well with a strengthening program for the lumbar spine. because they're isometric holds, they help to build tissue strength and endurance, but without the added danger of movement that increases load/stress. one note of caution....people sometimes tend to forget that athletic activities are not always conducive to optimal health. many of these activities can cause damage and/or increasing stress on the body's systems, leading to long-term complications. there is always a balance between pushing one's self to achieve a higher level of performance and maintaining a healthy physiological condition. that balance is a personal preference, and every individual must decide how far they want to "push the envelope" in regards to their own limitations before backing off.

perhaps Coach Sommer can shed some insight with any experiences he has had with athletes who've had any similar conditions or problems.

Coach Sommer

My recommendation is that your surgery is too recent for any form INTENSIVE physical conditioning. At this time your primary focus should be to rest and allow your body to recover fully. Listen carefully to and follow the recommendations of your physical therapist. Your doctor is the expert on your surgery, your therapist is the expert on your rehab. In a few more months, re-evaluate.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks guys.....I'll will follow your advice and rest for a couple more months. I will also educate myself with the books mentioned above.

Many thanks...

Regards,

Eric Hill

David Picó García

I have a protusioned hernia (L5-S1), not such important to take surgery (anyway two doctors told me do it) or maybe i can handle the pain with better posture habits and gymnastics, since i do this type of training i feel much better.

Specially rings are great because you get a great workout on your upperbody and the only weight your spine supports are the legs weights and in some movements, and all exercises on rings works hard on abs because you have to tense all your body even at a simply support on rings. Front levers for example of front lever pulls work hard the abs in a static position of the spine, so there is no risk. I do a lot of gymnastics movements but i daren't to get a simple dumbble for curl biceps because i bad posture just droping or getting them can cause me to get more injured. Of course i don't do any tumbling at all.

Anyway you have to take it slow and follow doctor advice about how to recover and when to start more serios training than just rehab and you'll know what you can do, but i think and after my experience that specially ring training is great for working back, abs and general upperbody without compromiting the spine health. (of course i talk about fitness aproach of rings, dips, pullups, muscle ups, basic strength series, back and front levers...., not swinging elements and dismounts :wink: ).

Coach Sommer

Very good, point. The spinal decompression inherent in many ring exercises is very beneficial for spinal health.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Great thanks for the advice. I'm going to buy the Btgb book,dvd,rings I'm going to take my time and read the book and study the movements for a couple of months before starting a workout program.

What other moves could I study that won't put to much pressure on my back. Exercises like : rings, dips, pullups, muscle ups, basic strength series, back and front levers anything else.....Could I follow the newbie routine that Blairbob post on this forum?