Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will F1 Help me achieve my goals?

amar654

Im an actor, so my need for physical looks is high. Currently im 190 and need to lose 15-20 pounds of fat to get lean, but I want to look above average and have above average levels of muscle. I have lifted in the past for 4 years, but now im focusing on bodyweight work. Is F1 the right step for me to take if I want to get leaner/look better shirtless? The reason I want to do gymnastic style training is because im heavily in theatre and having that kind of body awareness will open more doors for me. Im 6'1 and 18 years old. I guess if I was to tell you my dream physique it would be Stephen Amell from Arrow.    

Joshua Slocum

Yup, it'll help a lot. If pure looks are your goal then there are some quicker routes, but if you're also hoping to develop a range of skills and body awareness, then you're in exactly the right place!

Foundation is not a weight loss program.  It is a strength and conditioning program.  

If your diet and cardio are in line, you will lose weight.  If not, you will not lose weight - regardless of how hard you work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Foundation is not a weight loss program.  It is a strength and conditioning program.  

If your diet and cardio are in line, you will lose weight.  If not, you will not lose weight - regardless of how hard you work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wow, thank you for answering Coach! What type of cardio program do you recommend with foundation? 

The type of cardio is doesn't matter as long as it is one you enjoy and will maintain.  Moderate paced cardio for 30-45 minutes several times a week.  No sprint protocols.  No tabata whatevers.  Just basic moderate cardio.

If your diet and cardio are dialed in correctly; you should be able to consistently lose 1-4lbs per week.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

If the walking is addressing his weight loss needs, then it is adequate. If it is not addressing them, then it is inadequate. As always we measure and quantify; we never wish or hope for the best.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Timothy Aiken

What are your thoughts on running and injury? My brother runs for Truman State and my dad ran for most of his youth and adulthood. My dad especially tells me I should not run, but swim or something less intense on the joints. While this is nice and ideal, I do not have a pool all the time. I am curious as to your interpretation of the view that running is, in the long term, bad for your joints. 

I am assuming this is because of inadequate preparation, inadequate progression, and incorrect form/movement patterns. If this is the case, what is good preparation, progression, and what are some guidelines for good movement patterns in running?

Running is bad for you, if you over do it.  Swimming is bad for you, if you over do it.  Biking is bad for you, if you over do it.  

Point made?  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Timothy Aiken

At what point do I over do it? And since that probably has a variety of answers, how do I tell? I'd rather not wait until something hurts and the damage is done.

Timothy Chernock

I was a cross country runner for 7 years including a year at a D1 university.  The mantra I heard everywhere was "10% per week" meaning neither your total weekly mileage nor your longest daily run should increase by more than 10%.

I don't know if that was worded well so here is an example:

Monday 7 miles

Tuesday 5 miles

Wednesday 8 miles

Thursday 5 miles

Friday 5 miles

Saturday 10 miles

Total 40 miles

We can safely add 10% to our long run on Saturday so that becomes 11.  We can also add a total of 4 miles to the week(10% of 40).  One of those is taken by our Saturday run which leaves 3 miles to add.  Here is our new week:

Monday 8 miles

Tuesday 5 miles

Wednesday 9 miles

Thursday 6 miles

Friday 5 miles

Saturday 11 miles

My first and only year running at university I burned out big time.  I had a big increase in weekly mileage and couldn't handle it.  I was always feeling sluggish and that the 10-11 hours of sleep I was getting was not enough.  Instead of looking forward to running like I always did, I began to wish I didn't have to go.  Then I started to get slower and slower.  Those are some of the signs that you are over doing it.

• Upvote 3

In the light of good CARDIO to accompany F1 & BtGB.. and questions around that.. 

I have seen plenty of Couch to 5K programs/ Apps online..

Are those good enough/ dependable in terms of SLOWLY progressing you from ZERO to 5K? ... like F1 does? 

Can someone please point me to/ recommend a program of such nature

for SWIMMING / CYCLING for CARDIO if RUNNING is not an option due to meniscus Knee Injury? 

PS: Amar, are you in India? Drop me a message. 

Edited by crashnburn

Sven Ravnstag

Man, coach is on a great post RAMPAGE in this thread.

You can find more accurate and honest statements regarding strength, cardio, diet, and weight loss on this page than in most of the fitness industry combined.

Also good to know that moderately paced cardio is the recommended approach.

Sven Ravnstag

In the light of good CARDIO to accompany F1 & BtGB.. and questions around that..

I have seen plenty of Couch to 5K programs/ Apps online..

Are those good enough/ dependable in terms of SLOWLY progressing you from ZERO to 5K? ... like F1 does?

Can someone please point me to/ recommend a program of such nature

for SWIMMING / CYCLING for CARDIO if RUNNING is not an option due to meniscus Knee Injury?

PS: Amar, are you in India? Drop me a message.

Start jogging at a moderate exertion level And build up gradually to 2-3 miles/20-45 minutes.

I do it before GST days (so 3 days per week) but as I've gotten in better shape and started to enjoy it it's closer to 6 times/week now. Less if I feel tired.

It really is as simple as that. You can find a program if it makes you feel better, but I doubt you need one.

For me I've found working on gate/forefoot strike to be very helpful (and quite an endeavor), as well as fascial release on the calves/tib shin area each evening to be able to keep up my running almost daily.

I used to run 20-30 minutes on the beach before but ever since I had a meniscus injury while skiiing in the himalayas, anytime I exert the legs it starts pain