This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1 changed?

Started by John Kerr, February 17, 2015 · 105 Replies · 7,443 Views

Micawberian
Sisyphus said:

I was due to start SE1 next week. :(

Back to the boulder...

Your username has sealed your destiny, huh? Sorry man, looks like you'll never finish Foundation! If its any consolation, my username is just as depressing

Sisyphus
Micawberian said:

Your username has sealed your destiny, huh? Sorry man, looks like you'll never finish Foundation! If its any consolation, my username is just as depressing

Yeah I see that! I should have called myself Ringbeast or Planchemaster.

Nick Roy
Coach Sommer said:

If you are finding the russian twists very easy; do not be afraid to add weight.  It will pay off later (hint hint).

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Sorry to reiterate, just wanted to be sure the question was seen. What is a good weight to build up to for the Russian twists? I did mastery with 12 lbs so far

Rayne-William
Nick Roy said:

Sorry to reiterate, just wanted to be sure the question was seen. What is a good weight to build up to for the Russian twists? I did mastery with 12 lbs so far

Five pounds is plenty. To get the most oblique development out of the exercise slower down your rotations and focus on using just your core muscles to lift and rotate your upper body while you hold onto the free weight in your hands with a loose grip.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

I am currently doing deload week, I was expecting to do my 5x15 sec ABH and I was positively surprised with the updated SL series.

Russian twists are no joke. I tried 11th week and even though I was confident that I'll pass it, it made me sweat like a horse to keep that back flat and not to compromise the tempo. Passed it with 2,5 kg plate (which is somewhere around 5,5 lbs) and today I definitely feel my obliques. Looking forward to try PE2 mastery week. :icon_twisted:

Cole Dano
greekdawg said:

P.s. I see the straps are available now ...what about stall bars? Are you coming out with a stall bar setup?? Freestanding by any chance? Or what is this door attachment you speak of?? :)

 

Stall Bars: We are looking at them seriously. They won't be freestanding, but will be bulletproof. More when we have finalised our decision. 

 

Door Attachment: This is will allow you to use the Back Strap by hanging it from a door. They should be in stock soon.

kingzlo

Studying bodybuilding in the past (even watched Generation Iron last night), I'm not mad that I made the change, and I'm grateful for this system from GymnasticBodies; I'm especially giving thanks to Coach Sommer (he's like the Joe Weider of Gymnastics).  Periodically, I post on youtube.com/kingzlo to show off my newly formed body and I'm loving the results and talking about it.  

 

I haven't been through this forums for a while now, for I was focused on my progressions, until the change of the of SL/PE's.  My current level is/was SL/PE2 (Block 2, (fell back from Block 3)) which I did on Tuesday, for I'm now going in at 4 days a week instead of 3 (which I may go back to if my body cannot handle the stress and needs to recover more (maybe because I'm getting older)).  

 

As I feel the strength in my mid to lower back, as if I was deadlifting weight, since yesterday, from doing 4sets of 36reps on Tuesday, sadly, I feel cheated a little.  And it was changed for oblique strength.  I'm thinking it should've been an add-on instead.  I understand it is part of the CORE strength though.

 

Doing a little research on this through the forums, I had to say something in THIS particular forum about the change.  

 

WHY???  

 

I understand that the "majority" of people cannot handle the ABH/ABR, I even told myself that this is the "weak link in my chain".  But how else is the body to reach another level, with patience, without going through such a rigorous routine.  Even as I write this I'm hearing Coach Sommer in my head talking about pushing hard or something like that, in one of the Podcasts.  

 

Also I was searching for where the ABH/ABR is located now, I see it is not in foundation1 (correct me if I'm wrong).  If I'm right, where is it now?

Jason Dupree

ABH is pe14, rock is pe15. I don't see the problem, if obliques aren't holding you back, test through the PEs asap. I've been doing 3 a day back to back. You could do them all in one sitting if you want, as long as they are perfect.

dritar

ABH and ABR aren't gone they've just moved up the chain. Probably Coach felt that us zombie adults needed some extra work before tackling ABH/R. 

Sven Ravnstag

Arch bodies are too hard! Russian twists are too easy!

I think there's a conspiracy to test Coach's claim that he's impervious to whining.

Rayne-William
Sven Ravnstag said:

Arch bodies are too hard! Russian twists are too easy!

I think there's a conspiracy to test Coach's claim that he's impervious to whining.

If Russian twists are too easy move on to the next progression, or slow down and learn to control the movement more.

ausswe

If someone has reached the sl se I don't see any point in them going back to the start as all that has really changed is the order of the exercises up to the se level, with one addition.

Is this right?

Sven Ravnstag
Rayne-William said:

If Russian twists are too easy move on to the next progression, or slow down and learn to control the movement more.

I don't think you got it.

Alan Tseng
ausswe said:

If someone has reached the sl se I don't see any point in them going back to the start as all that has really changed is the order of the exercises up to the se level, with one addition.

Is this right?

There's multiple changes across the board. 3 entire exercises removed, 4 new videos in with one of them being adjusted for technique, multiple exercises had their reps adjusted (some decreased, some increased.)

Coach Sommer
ausswe said:

If someone has reached the sl se I don't see any point in them going back to the start as all that has really changed is the order of the exercises up to the se level, with one addition.

Is this right?

Nope. Don't assume.

You may stay on your SL/SE1; however you will also need to go back and demonstrate mastery of each of the new SL progressions in order.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

Okay I didn't notice all those changes. Thought only the first exercise was new and the rest simply reordered.

Coach Sommer
ausswe said:

Okay I didn't notice all those changes. Thought only the first exercise was new and the rest simply reordered.

Attention to detail. Makes me wonder what else you have overlooked in your training? ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

ausswe

Haha. Considering the amount of time I spend reading on these forums and constantly going trough all the exercises on the course page, probably nothing. Just haven't had time to look into the new sl progressions.

Joshua Slocum
kingzlo said:

Studying bodybuilding in the past (even watched Generation Iron last night), I'm not mad that I made the change, and I'm grateful for this system from GymnasticBodies; I'm especially giving thanks to Coach Sommer (he's like the Joe Weider of Gymnastics). Periodically, I post on youtube.com/kingzlo to show off my newly formed body and I'm loving the results and talking about it.

I haven't been through this forums for a while now, for I was focused on my progressions, until the change of the of SL/PE's. My current level is/was SL/PE2 (Block 2, (fell back from Block 3)) which I did on Tuesday, for I'm now going in at 4 days a week instead of 3 (which I may go back to if my body cannot handle the stress and needs to recover more (maybe because I'm getting older)).

As I feel the strength in my mid to lower back, as if I was deadlifting weight, since yesterday, from doing 4sets of 36reps on Tuesday, sadly, I feel cheated a little. And it was changed for oblique strength. I'm thinking it should've been an add-on instead. I understand it is part of the CORE strength though.

Doing a little research on this through the forums, I had to say something in THIS particular forum about the change.

WHY???

I understand that the "majority" of people cannot handle the ABH/ABR, I even told myself that this is the "weak link in my chain". But how else is the body to reach another level, with patience, without going through such a rigorous routine. Even as I write this I'm hearing Coach Sommer in my head talking about pushing hard or something like that, in one of the Podcasts.

Also I was searching for where the ABH/ABR is located now, I see it is not in foundation1 (correct me if I'm wrong). If I'm right, where is it now?

Feel free to keep doing ABH/R if you really want to. The purpose of the new progressions is to make progress faster and more consistent for those who did not experience consistent progress. It's a matter of efficiency: you can spend months grinding away at ABH/ABR, *then* work on your obliques, or work on your obliques now and experience quicker ABH progress later.
Peter Lavoie

Any chance we could get a short video tutorial on back strap technicalities (set up, optimal use, etc...)?

Javier

I had almost mastered PE2, arg! Just shy a few reps on the 5th series. This exercise and the PE1 were never a big problem once I learnt to straighten the legs. It works wonders for my lower back, I know because my back told me, so I'm keeping it as a warmup  :)

 

I do have a question: How do the im on the SL progressions work towards the pancake?

 

I'm curious because right now all the im up to im-PE6 seem to be upper body exercises and I would have thought the Jefferson Curls and Windmills were more related to the pancake.

 

Cheers, and thanks Coach for the updated series. My obliques are happy they are getting some action too! 

Coach Sommer

The SL iMs do not lead to the pancake; they focus on oblique mobility.  

 

Sections of the MN iMs and the H2 iMs focus on pancake mobility; and then the new Middle Split Stretch Series also focuses very heavily on the pancake.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vinca_minor

you may want to change the text on the course description, then.

 

Side Lever

The following progressions build up to a full Side Lever and develop the "Pancake" flexibility

Coach Sommer
vinca_minor said:

you may want to change the text on the course description, then.

 

Side Lever

The following progressions build up to a full Side Lever and develop the "Pancake" flexibility

 

Please send me the link and location of that verbiage and I will have it changed.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

vinca_minor

Looks like you found it.  :)