This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1 changed?

Started by John Kerr, February 17, 2015 · 105 Replies · 7,443 Views

Joseph Morris

15r each side, phew! Tomorrow is my SL day so looking forward to hitting it and seeing how it works out. 

trw

Whoa! This is big news. I'm really looking forward to working through these new progressions. I had a suspicion that weakness in the obliques was holding me back. I'm curious to see if this revised method feeds back into hollow holds, which is another area I've had a lot of trouble improving in.

Sam Andersen

Should I stop where I am in my current SL progress and test for mastery on each of the new progressions?

Joseph Morris
danandersen3 said:

Should I stop where I am in my current SL progress and test for mastery on each of the new progressions?

Yes, now that there are new progressions they must all be mastered.

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

Thank you baby Jesus. I could do russian twists with weight, with cars, what have you; anything but arch body holds -- I felt like I would pass out at times from the sheer tension that holding my back in such a position caused for my blood pressure lol. Elbow taps, too. I'm liking this. 

 

Whodathunk that until you see what's out there that you appreciate what you're working with. Two months off of GB I realize that GB is the most simplistic path to do all of this. 

 

One question though, when will stretching components be added in? I specifically want to eventually be able to do dynamic back bends but obviously not until a later point. Also, what about stretching cooldowns? I do yoga for now. So I guess it'll do for now

Destiny

Very excited about these new progressions

Nick Roy

I think it should be noted, if you've already mastered Arch Body Hold and can do one set without going past warmup exertion then it makes complete sense to maintain it as you go through progressions. It still has a place in our journey to side lever

Micawberian

So, any hope for those of us who got past ABR and were progressing in the original format? Would you consider allowing both the old SL track and the new track in the course? As I understand it, SL was changed for people who struggled in the early series, and not people who made it past?

No complaining here, just curious if it is actually better in every case to restart than following the old schedule

 

Also, those russian twists: arms are meant to be slighty bent?

Sensei JP
Nick Roy said:

I think it should be noted, if you've already mastered Arch Body Hold and can do one set without going past warmup exertion then it makes complete sense to maintain it as you go through progressions. It still has a place in our journey to side lever

I agree with this.  It took me three months to go from 24r of ABR to 36, and I'm not losing that.  I'm going to keep 15 or so ABR in my warmup, and every week or so add a few reps, so long as the exertion remains acceptable.  That way, months from now when I get back to those cursed abominations, I'll have slowly worked my way up to a single set of 40+

Blair Norwood

I'm was just getting ready to do my arched body holds, 4 or 5 sets of 48 seconds depending on how I go (manual labour job often affects my performance). Its taken me nearly a year to get here, starting at 3x12 seconds and I really don't want to lose it. I'm thinking of continuing on with ABH until I can get 5x60 seconds then maintain there as well as starting at PE1.

 

So my question for Coach: Should I work on ABH once per week and PE1 onwards once per week, or drop ABH and get there when I get there? (Or something else, maybe 3x60 seconds ABH once per week etc)?

Coach Sommer

Personally I would always keep either ABH or ABR in a warmup.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Blair Norwood

Thanks for the reply Coach, I'll try this 'warm up', personally I cry too much after ABH to do anything else.

curtis

 Progress was so painfully slow with ABH. I would have never guessed weak and tight obliques could be one source of so much struggle with ABH (?).  Nice change to have some rotational work in the early PE's too.  

Cory Fair
Micawberian said:

So, any hope for those of us who got past ABR and were progressing in the original format? Would you consider allowing both the old SL track and the new track in the course? As I understand it, SL was changed for people who struggled in the early series, and not people who made it past?

No complaining here, just curious if it is actually better in every case to restart than following the old schedule

 

Also, those russian twists: arms are meant to be slighty bent?

 

The new track should be followed. Side Lever and both the oblique and lower back work leading up to it cannot be overstated in importance. Don't get comfortable in your current habit. Seek the training that gives best results, which like it or not for most F1 students will mean time spent on obliques.

 

As the obliques improve in strength and mobility, not only will the ability to create tension in the "weight belt" muscles allow you to do ABH/ABR at mastery levels but you'll also be able to do it with much better form. No more barely hovering above the ground and proclaiming a victory. ;)

Micawberian

Hmm, yea, figured as soon as I clicked "post" that would be the answer. Understood!

By the way, the PE1 initial assessment section of the course portal still shows a demonstration of ABH, in case you were unaware :)

Luzian

I just wanted to point out that after setting back the SL in the settings to PE1 (block 3, week 10 in my case) it still shows in the mobile view as

 

  4x60s SL/PE1 

  10R SL/PE1-im after each work set 
 
instead of
 
  4x30r SL/PE1
  10R SL/PE1-im after each work set
 
Not really a problem, but slightly confusing especially for new users I guess.
dritar

Looking forward to the new progressions. I'll still keep 1x60s ABH in the warmup as I think the first set that I do is good form :). 

 

See you soon ABH we'll meet again in earnest.

Rayne-William

For the additional brutality. Thanks Coach.

 

The new SL/PE1 (Russian Twists) is a lot tougher than the old one (Arch Body Hold).  Especially if you use just the core muscles to move the upper body while holding onto the free weight in your hands with a loose grip.

Bro'

Well, I like this new progression. In the past 3-4 weeks, I have mastered arch-ups, curl-ups, straddle and regular reverse leg lifts at 5x15 and now I see they're at 5x10. Oh well! I won't have a problem retesting through them then.  ;) The stall bars ones at 5x10 could be a challenge though, I don't know, I was supposed to test them on Friday.

 

I was past ABH/ABR but still happy about the new progression and not bothered to retest a few elements. Knowing the course evolves means a lot. Now we need to complain about MN/PE2.  :lol:

LateStarter@46

Very excited by the new exercises, thank you Coach  :D

 

Have realised SL PE1 can now be done discreetly whilst on desk patrol  :lol:

Geoff
Coach Sommer said:

Don't worry, I also have this under control. The back straps that my students use are now in. They attach to either a stall bar or over the top of a regular door and can be used for archups, RLL and all sPL iM.

They should be available in the online store later today. Those who have stall bars may use them immediately. Those who need door hanger attachments will need to wait a few weeks as that stock has not yet arrived.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Are there any options for Europeans? If I remember correctly items aren't shipped to Europe anymore. These straps look like they would be fun to play with.
Sisyphus
Micawberian said:

So, any hope for those of us who got past ABR and were progressing in the original format? Would you consider allowing both the old SL track and the new track in the course? As I understand it, SL was changed for people who struggled in the early series, and not people who made it past?

I was due to start SE1 next week. :(

Back to the boulder...

Coach Sommer
danandersen3 said:

Should I stop where I am in my current SL progress and test for mastery on each of the new progressions?

 

You're current SL progress no longer exists.  Start from the beginning with the new SL progressions.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer
Geoff said:

Are there any options for Europeans? If I remember correctly items aren't shipped to Europe anymore. These straps look like they would be fun to play with.

 

If there are enough international requests to make it worth the shipping annoyance, I might consider lifting the ban on international shipping for 7 days.

 

IF all of the potential international customers understand that it will require 28 business days for delivery.  And that is from when the order is shipped; not when the order is placed.  And accept the fact that the postman is going to screw up at least one of these orders and the order that is screwed up will probably be yours.   ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

greekdawg

Thank you God. That is all.

ABH was/is brutal and lagging behind everything else. Excited to tackle the new progressions this morning.

Thanks Coach

P.s. I see the straps are available now ...what about stall bars? Are you coming out with a stall bar setup?? Freestanding by any chance? Or what is this door attachment you speak of?? :)