This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SL/PE1 changed?

Started by John Kerr, February 17, 2015 · 105 Replies · 7,443 Views

John Kerr

Hi

 

Has SLPE1 changed? I was at 4x48 seconds. Now its seated russian twist?

 

Am i missing something here?

 

Thanks

 

 

Joshua Slocum

The SL progressions were recently revised. 

Jason Dupree

It looks like they are still in the process of changing, I don't have any PEs right now

Coach Sommer

The newly revised SL preparatory element progressions should be up and operational in a few hours.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Duff
Coach Sommer said:

The newly revised SL preparatory element progressions should be up and operational in an hour or so.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

No more love for the curl-up? Shame, they were becoming one of my favourite exercises. And reduced reps for arch-ups? Blasphemy :D .

 

Could you also explain why you chose these exercises? I'm intrigued.

Coach Sommer

I love the curl ups also, however far too many people were performing them incorrectly.

Initially I had incorrectly surmised that the difficulties some encountered with ABH/ABR stemmed from tight hip flexors and weak lower backs. That is not the case. The first and primary cause of their struggles arise from weak and tight obliques. Hence the new order of preparatory elements.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

HB_Ron

Coach, Does this mean ABH/ABR+Curl-Ups are completely removed from Foundation series? Or will they be replaced/added as PE4-6?

Jason Dupree

I can attest to weak lower back not being a primary cause. I marched bass drum for many years, with a 40 pound drum strapped to my chest. My lower back is monstrous but ABH still kicked my butt. I've felt like weak glutes were what was holding me back, but I'm interested to see how this new progression changes things.

Coach Sommer
HB_Ron said:

Coach, Does this mean ABH/ABR+Curl-Ups are completely removed from Foundation series? Or will they be replaced/added as PE4-6?

 

You'll know soon enough.  ;)

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joseph Morris

Counting for the Russians twists: tap left-tap right (1) tap left-tap right (2) etc, or tap left (1) tap right (2) tap left (3)? In other words, does the weight passing by one's chest once count as a rep, or does passing by twice count as one rep?

Keilani Gutierrez

sorry for being the stick in the mud, but I think if Coach uses the word "brutal" I think it would constitute 30reps for each side. those other oblique variations are no joke!

Warlock
Joseph Morris said:

Counting for the Russians twists: tap left-tap right (1) tap left-tap right (2) etc, or tap left (1) tap right (2) tap left (3)? In other words, does the weight passing by one's chest once count as a rep, or does passing by twice count as one rep?

Not sure, but the other elements state X repetitions (alternate sides), so I'd lean on the side of this being 15r each side, 30r total.

 

That being said, as Keilani observed, the implied brutality would suggest its 30 reps for each side. Hopefully Coach or a member of the team will clarify soon.

Coach Sommer

15r each side is brutal enough.  If you don't find it so; just add weight held straight out in front of you.

 

Food for thought; I took the MasterClass participants thru the first three SL preparatory elements at mastery level (5 sets each) one after the other with no rest.   :icon_twisted:

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Alexander Egebak

I asked this question in another thread. Would it be benefitial to keep ABH as a skill or in the warmup for like 1-2 sets if I have mastery ROM?

PSon

Ush, complete overhaul uh.
The new progression seems more realistic to be honest, the gear required to perform do put me in a tight spot though :\/
No stall bars, no high box etc, w/e will find a way I guess.

Sven Ravnstag

Oh man! Russian twists are so hard! Boo hoo hoo!

Just kidding. Excellent revision. Looking forward to yet more torso discomfort.

Coach Sommer
PSon said:

Ush, complete overhaul uh.

The new progression seems more realistic to be honest, the gear required to perform do put me in a tight spot though :\/

No stall bars, no high box etc, w/e will find a way I guess.

 

Don't worry, I also have this under control.  The back straps that my students use are now in.  They attach to either a stall bar or over the top of a regular door and can be used for archups, RLL and all sPL iM.

 

They should be available in the online store later today.  Those who have stall bars may use them immediately.  Those who need door hanger attachments will need to wait a few weeks as that stock has not yet arrived.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Stephen Majerle

I am excited to try out the new order and exercises, but some things I've noticed: some exercises that were 5x15r are now 5x10r, and the reverse leg lifts that used to be 5x5 are now 5x10. Also the iMs seem to be in same order so they are now paired with different PE's. And the floor windshield wipers I just spent four months on are gone completely! One question I have, when I get to an exercise I previously mastered, do I skip it or do I re-master it with the new paired iM?

Coach Sommer

Everything must be redone from scratch with the new order and the new rep requirements.

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Oompa2

I wonder how many messages like this were sent recently...? :D

If this means that by the time I 'get back' to ABR I will be far more prepared then I am over the moon. More time preparing a solid Side Lever sounds brilliant.

post-5335-0-85194400-1424214274_thumb.jp

Charles Wright

I'm personally very excited to try this out.  Thanks for being open to trying new things out when the old ones were not working for so many.  I was one of the ones frustrated.  After not making much progress I finally finished 5x60s straddle ABH and was just back to standard ones, but really found that the straddle version didn't fix whatever the underlying issue is/was with being able to hold both my knees and ankles together at the same time while arching.

Nick Roy

Works for me. I have Russian twists in the bag already. Arch Body everything was a bear for me, no longer on PE1 : D

Coach Sommer

If you are finding the russian twists very easy; do not be afraid to add weight.  It will pay off later (hint hint).

 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Nick Roy

What would be a good goal weight to build towards?

I did them with a 12 lb medicine ball

Bret Kennedy

so just another question, what are these back straps I see, there is only really a pic of people using them. I have a mobility strap that is about 7 feet long with a buckle, made of really strong nylon, much like what the TRX's are made. Is it the same type of thing? and you use these to help your straddle ups  and all that right?

 

man, I am excited to get back into this stuff.. been away from it for too long :)

 

Bret