Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Human flag and 1 armed stands

ajhoover

Recently I have acquirred most of the training equipment I need to do almost everything from home so I do not go to the gym anymore as it is just too far away. One of the elements I can not train and have not been training recently is the human flag. I was at the park yesterday and the play structure had a perfect spot to practice so I did. To my amazement after a few attempts getting balance I could hold myself far better than I ever could. On my good side I got into the full position and on the bad side was in a narrow straddle. The hold was only a couple seconds but I was so excited I over did it and now am incredably sore. I was trying to figure out what in my training has improved this skill so much without even practicing. I noticed a very similar feeling in the down arm in the flag and also in the 1 arm stand. While the 1 armed stand lacks the pulling arm of the flag and the angle of the body is different, am I correct in my assumption that these two exercises share some very similar muscle groups and work on one will help the other?

Andrew

Dominic Lacasse suggests chin ups and handstand pushups as preparatory exercises for the human flag. The human flag needs much pressing with the the bottom arm but the top arm doesn't pull too much. A one arm handstand should be a sufficient preparation for the flag.