Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How much flexibility can be build through strength?

bertramlevaughn

bertramlevaughn

Hi all, I've read numerous amount of times that one of the best ways of building flexibility is through strenght training i.e training through a full range of movement. Now I attend a performing arts school and one of the disciplines there is ballet. However my ballet technique is not very strong due to insufficient turn out ( the ability to externally rotate the femur bone in the hip socket). Now there is no doubt in my mind that specific strength training will definitely aid me in achieving good turn aout, as I feel that strength training does improve mobility in a joint and I do believe that this rotation I speak of is just a good use of mobility within a joint, but can strength training improve flexibility of a muscle, say the hamstring group and the quadricep group? These are definite muscle groups that I need to be flexibile. Now if strength training can do this then what type of bodyweight exercises would I need to employ. See I believe strength training can do this however I'm yet to find the particular exercise. Though I am limited in knowledge in this area, I'm still playing around with various exercises that I belive might help. My main goal is not to achieve passive flexibility but to achieve active flexibility. I have just created a blog, gracefullystrong.com, that will chart my hopefull success in this area via the strength training protocol. I will have various exercises that I feel might work presented there but any input this communities part would be very helpful, especially the coach's. The blog is just new so don't expect there to be much content if any at the moment!!! If strength training can do this then to what degree? Can an athlete expect to gain the flexibilty of a rhythmic gymanst through specific strenght training?

matthew.percussion

To achieve active flexibility you must train active flexibility. No amount of regular strength training will develop what you are trying to do. You need to incorprate static active holds into your routine. ie. Lift leg up to side/front/back as high as you can hold it with both legs straight, hold it there for a few seconds and do multiple sets of that. This is the only way that I know to achieve the active flexibility that you are looking for.

To develop strength in that range of motion you could tie a theraband around your ankle and slowly lift your leg as high as you can for reps.

The static holds will only develop strength near the degree you are holding them. I think there is an article about it in The Gym Press.

All flexability is built through strength really. Even in a seatted forward fold you use the muscles of the arms and core to deepen the stretch, if you used no strength at all your body would go nowhere. If you want the full extension of the hamstrings you must flex the quads. You could achieve open hamstrings by doing L - sits and V - sits. You are still using the muscles of the arms, core and quads but in a much different way. The former would provide better flexability and the latter more strength, but really you want to do them both. If there is no flexability element in the strength exercise you do you will not build flexability. If you do full range pull - ups and handstands with proper shoulder extension you will build up the shoulder girdle as well as adding range of motion. If you do pull - ups going down only 3/4 of the way and handstands with bent arms and slightly planched shoulders you will get strength (though not as much) but will not recieve any of the range of motion benefits. For what you want to do it sounds like a mix of static and dynamic stretches is what you need. I found kicking does an excelent job of opening up the hips and is a great warm up for more intense held stretches. For the quads any type of backbending would serve you well. Look into yoga, i think it will assist in what you are looking for.

Andrew

Daniel Hines

Have you checked out Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz? It covers all your questions and much more more. I think as a dancer you'll find it especially interesting, as it covers static active and dynamic active flexibility in detail as well. I highly recommend buying Stretching Scientifically or checking it out at the library (hint:probably through and interlibrary loan). I also recommend the video Secrets of Stretching which shows more fully how to apply the methods of the book to a complete workout program. (if you can't find the video I'd be glad to summarize the crucial points but the video is really valuable, as far as seeing the techniques used in the workout).