Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Diaphragmatic Breathing Isometric exercises

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi all! I would like to clarify some stuff about breathing during isometric exercises!

1. I read somewhere that diaphragmatic breathing is the best techinique during isometric holds. Is it correct? does this techinique help to hold for much more seconds isometric holds?

2. Besides, Basing to my experience, for high static holds (like L-sit, more than 30 secs) I feel that I can focus on breathing easily. But for low isometric holds (let's say lower than 20 sec) I almost always perform them in APNEA. (And infact my face becomes red [emoji2] ). I guess this is incorrect, but it looks like this is a stuff that most people have difficulty to fix! I am one of them! Am I right? So I wonder if it is essential to learn breathing correctly even for low static holds, and if diaphragmatic breathing is still the correct method!

Thank you!!

Julian Aldag

1)  Yes

2) The more comfortable/easy you find the exercise, the easier the breathing is going to be. The body is more efficient and doesn't need to contract as hard and makes breathing easier.

When you have to fully contract super hard, either with harder elements, or learning a new exercise, the best way I have found to sustain breathing, is to only take in 50% lung capacity (into diaphragm) . Then use short breaths in and out the mouth with slightly pursed lips to recycle the air (from 50% to  25% to 50% to 25% etc). This way you can keep the air going, but also focus on full contraction without a full body of air (which limits both contraction and compression).

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 2