Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Ido Portal

Low Bridge Work

Recommended Posts

Guest Ido Portal

Here are two Rotations Into Low Bridge variations I posted recently.

hbnmcALXXUY

kxfRZVdb_Fw

The Low Bridge works on mobilizing different joints and muscles than its brother the gymnastics bridge (Or high bridge).

In Floreio Flow work both bridge variations are used.

For details, instruction and discussion:

http://idoportal.blogspot.com/2009/07/floreio-workout-number-1.html

If it is interesting to you I invite you to try some floreio work together with your gymnasticbodies WOD. It is a great complement and allows you to use your newly developed strength in another way.

Ido Portal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RaymondBurton

Always appreciate the time you take to post these up for us. Your squat rehab one has helped me a ton and I've been working on the one above for a while now. Again, thankyou.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jl5555

I use the beginning version against the wall to warm up for Bridge Wall Walks. So yes, a warm up to my cool down. But my back and shoulders appreciate it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Molina

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I tried the low bridges and am experiencing a LOT of lower back pain, from just one set of 5 reps. I did a full warm up, generally am active, but I know I struggle with bridge work. Reading Ido's description of how the Low Bridge should reduce lumbar strain, I didn't expect to have WORSE lumbar pain (I think I may have strained it) than when I do high bridge work.

 

Any suggestions on mistakes that people make doing the low bridge that add strain to the lumbar spine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eloy Bote
11 hours ago, Andrew Molina said:

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I tried the low bridges and am experiencing a LOT of lower back pain, from just one set of 5 reps. I did a full warm up, generally am active, but I know I struggle with bridge work. Reading Ido's description of how the Low Bridge should reduce lumbar strain, I didn't expect to have WORSE lumbar pain (I think I may have strained it) than when I do high bridge work.

 

Any suggestions on mistakes that people make doing the low bridge that add strain to the lumbar spine?

Hey Andrew,

I'm very noob at bridge but I think that in the low bridge you keep your arms and legs bent but still opening from the thoracic not the lower back. If you record a video you can see where is the bend of the spine coming from, and you should feel your chest opening and not the lower back compressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alessandro Mainente
On 9/16/2019 at 10:52 PM, Andrew Molina said:

I don't know if anyone is still looking at this thread, but I tried the low bridges and am experiencing a LOT of lower back pain, from just one set of 5 reps. I did a full warm up, generally am active, but I know I struggle with bridge work. Reading Ido's description of how the Low Bridge should reduce lumbar strain, I didn't expect to have WORSE lumbar pain (I think I may have strained it) than when I do high bridge work.

 

Any suggestions on mistakes that people make doing the low bridge that add strain to the lumbar spine?

PLease if you are referring to foundations material remember to keep posting in the private section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Molina

Hi @Alessandro Mainente, we are referring to the Low Bridge work introduce by Ido Portal in the link at the very beginning of this thread, so this is outside of Foundations material. I am finding it hard to make progress in my Thoracic bridge despite repeated practice of the stretch series so I went searching for guidance on intermediate work and found this.

 

@Eloy Bote I'm giving my lumbar spine a rest for a few weeks and then will attempt again, video, and would love you to take a look. Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eloy Bote
1 hour ago, Andrew Molina said:

Hi @Alessandro Mainente, we are referring to the Low Bridge work introduce by Ido Portal in the link at the very beginning of this thread, so this is outside of Foundations material. I am finding it hard to make progress in my Thoracic bridge despite repeated practice of the stretch series so I went searching for guidance on intermediate work and found this.

 

@Eloy Bote I'm giving my lumbar spine a rest for a few weeks and then will attempt again, video, and would love you to take a look. Thanks!

Hey Andrew,

Why don't you ask for help in the thoracic bridge forum? You can send form checks so the coaches can tell you if you are doing something wrong or you just need patience, but the lower back pain doing bridge means that you are not opening your thoracic spine, probably you are compressing your lower back instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Petra Dvorak

I had a look on this Low Bridge work and i do not think, this is a thing for "beginners", although it looks smooth and easy in the video...

< Ido said...Bridge Rotations can be done daily no problem, especialy the low bridge ones, since they are not stressful on the lower back and shoulders >

For an adult who is not very experienced in whole-body mobility work, this flow is too complex, means too many joints in too many plains, to control everything in full body weight...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alessandro Mainente

I absolute quote you. the problem is the opposite, for a beginner who does not have a minimum of spine extension in thoracic part there is a big probability of lower back compensation especially if the hip are held in a extension alignemnt with knees flexed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Andrew Molina

So @Alessandro Mainente, are you saying his Low Bridge is actually harder for people without thoracic mobility?

I've been using the Thoracic Bridge stretch series for a while now and still can't seem to develop enough mobility to even do a thoracic bridge with legs raised, so I'm just trying to find some sort of variation that is easier to slowly build up. Any suggestions on additional work to do, or variations on the bridge would be awesome.

 

Someone mentioned to me Jon Yuen's Spinal Flow class, which I might check out. Does anyone know much about this or any other programs?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alessandro Mainente
4 hours ago, Andrew Molina said:

So @Alessandro Mainente, are you saying his Low Bridge is actually harder for people without thoracic mobility?

I've been using the Thoracic Bridge stretch series for a while now and still can't seem to develop enough mobility to even do a thoracic bridge with legs raised, so I'm just trying to find some sort of variation that is easier to slowly build up. Any suggestions on additional work to do, or variations on the bridge would be awesome.

 

Someone mentioned to me Jon Yuen's Spinal Flow class, which I might check out. Does anyone know much about this or any other programs?

Yes, because it is active extension first and if you do not have a minimum of passive range of motion you have no reason to be able to extend the spine at this minimum level. second as i mentioned knees flexed and hips extended to increase the lower back extension primarily. we can discuss a deeper eventual variation in the private section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.