Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder tightness training Iron Cross

Castleclimber

Castleclimber

Hey everyone,

After six months of training the cross it's finally happened; I've become injured.

After a minor muscle pull (traps), I spent a few weeks resting. As the pull recovered, i started to notice some discomfort/tightness commonly encountered when I shrug my shoulder and drop it again. The discomfort is definitely not painful but seems like a message from my body that my current training programme is inadequate.

The tightness is at it's worst if I link my fingers behind my back, straighten my arms and lift them upwards. I feel it towards the front of my deltoids. What's worse, it affects both shoulders!!

While training the cross, i have not been training the antagonist groups.. stupid I know:(

Have I created an imbalance? I already had far greater strength in the vertical pulling plane than the vertical pushing plane. (1 rep max for weighted pull up is bodyweight (80Kgs) + 60Kg as opposed to the fact that I can't do a handstand push up and struggle enough with the headstand push ups). The Cross pulls further train the vertical pulling plane do they not?

Do I need to do some work balancing out the vertical pushing plane? I don't do weights but for rehabilitation and balance i would be willing. Are Military presses, Arnold presses and side dumbell raises the answer?

Thanks,

Richard,

London, uk

matthew.percussion

I do a lot of straight arm work with therabands. Standing on them and lifting them up in the front and on the sides. Static holds.

You can basically work inverted crosses in this manner. Just with a much lower amount of resistance.

That may help.