Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Supplementing lower frequency of inverted rows with single arm dumbbell rows

Quick Start Test Smith

Quick Start Test Smith

Season's greetings, folks!

I'm living at an apartment complex and I can't do inverted rows regularly throughout the week due to the uni gym being very lackluster with equipment and rules ("NO SWEATING ALLOWED") so since I have yet to figure out an portable inverted row station, I was thinking of supplementing with a few 12-15 rep sets of single arm bent over dumbbell rows. Not a replacement, but a supplement to the infrequency. 

I drive home twice a month over the weekend to do some side income jobs and to work out, so I take advantage of my home gym to try to catch up on the inverted rows by doing at least 5-10 sets of 'em over 2-3 days weekend visit. Usually adds up to about 15-20 sets of inverted row a month, although somewhat condensed into two weekends. In the meantime, I continue with my pull up/chin up RC preparatory elements with the pull up bars at the gym.

So do you think the dumbbell rows are a productive supplementation or a waste of time?

Merry Christmas all :)

P.S. You may wonder "Why do you want to do so many inverted rows??" and my answer is that my shoulders turn to crap if I do any push ups without a great deal of rows, so to feel free to do all the pushing exercises I like to do I have to do a lot of rows. Also, they're an awesome exercise and great for your back.

Bryan Wheelock

Many apartment complexes I've seen have the stairs with the open back. You can throw some rings or webbing over there and do Rows or chin-ups.

You could also throw something over a tree branch or put a knot and a piece of weapon and hang it ever door that you lock.

There's always something if you look hard enough.

Quick Start Test Smith

Well, thanks for the comment. That's not what I was asking about, but without going into detail, the place I live it at the moment is extremely strict and the RA's are literally nazi's. I could fidangle something if I had to, but for the sake of practical applications during a hectic semester, it's not convenient enough to make it likely I would have the time/energy to do it after all the other stuff I have to do.

Bryan Wheelock

I don't think that single arm dumbbell rows are equivalent of horizontal rows. It's too easy to cheat.

You can easily create a TRX style rig and just throw it right over the door. I've done that many times and it's never damaged the door or frame.

• Upvote 1

Quick Start Test Smith

I don't think that single arm dumbbell rows are equivalent of horizontal rows. It's too easy to cheat.

You can easily create a TRX style rig and just throw it right over the door. I've done that many times and it's never damaged the door or frame.

Oh yeah, I have to agree with you about that. No way are they equivalent, but it might offset the low frequency somewhere.

A TRX style rig is a great idea! It would force an angle, but I could always wear a backpack with heavy things inside it to increase resistance...

thanks!