Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Trigger point/Myofascial release

Colin Macdonald

Colin Macdonald

Has anyone used one of these kinds of things before?

body-back-buddy.jpg

It looks like you might be able to get some good leverage into hard to reach spots. Im also open to the idea that it could be a complete gimmick. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of tool? Or is a foam roller and a ball still the best way to go?

George Launchbury

Hi Colin,

Had a go with something very similar once, and didn't like the fact that you couldn't relax due to having to exert force with your arms. Maybe I was doing it wrong. I guess would be good for those who would prefer not to, or simply cannot, roll around on the floor, against walls/door frames, etc.

Rarely use the foam roller these days, except more as a fulcrum for thoracic extension - I've been converted to using balls more after getting Jill Miller's 'Roll Model' book. Picked up a few of her balls as well, and they are very good. Especially like the larger inflatable 'Coregous' ball - great for getting under the ribs, into psoas, etc. Medium size ball is perfect for me to get into my QL.

Lots of great tips, clear explanations and underlines the importance of being able to breathe properly (in all the different ways),

NB: My favourite for getting into calves is still a 'rod of correction' placed between the calves and hamstrings in a kneeling position. It's horrible. It's great. It's horrible. It's great.

Cheers,

George.

PS: Sorry if that sounds like an infomercial - no connection!!

• Upvote 3

George Launchbury

Am I the only one thinking that that, ahem, *tool* looks a little offensive?  :D  :ph34r:

There certainly are parts that could be used in various ways...  :lol:

Ha ha - and then I went and brought up the 'rod of correction' :lol:

• Upvote 3

Widely used by Irish catholic pastors. OMG, this is so going to get moderated + I am now going to hell.

• Upvote 3

Murray Truelove

I've used a basic one in the past. Good for getting into the shoulder blades but nothing that can't be achieved with a golf ball.

The precision is handy if you've got a specific spot you want to target though and you can use it while sitting in a chair which saves you having to roll around on the floor.

I wouldn't recommend unless it was cheap.

• Upvote 2

Kate Abernethy

I was just going about my way obliviously until Ravn's comments - now I'm just ha ha ha-ing at this post  :D

It looks too complicated, a trained massage therapist would be better. No Ravn, no more comments  ;)

• Upvote 2

I was just going about my way obliviously until Ravn's comments - now I'm just ha ha ha-ing at this post :D

It looks too complicated, a trained massage therapist would be better. No Ravn, no more comments ;)

Oh come on, I'm not that terrible, am I? :-D

• Upvote 2

Colin Macdonald

Cheers,

George.

So what you're saying in essence is that I should ignore the knobby shaft and just work the balls?  :eek:

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into the book.

• Upvote 3

Josh Schmitter

The Theracane is the one referred to in The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook. I have it and it works well for certain spots, and is definitely smaller and less ridiculous than the one pictured.

That said, I do use an M80 Roller, tennis balls, rods (only rods of correction mind you) and lacrosse balls regularly/more often.

• Upvote 2

So what you're saying in essence is that I should ignore the knobby shaft and just work the balls? :eek:

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll look into the book.

Ha ha,surprised the mods haven't butchered this thread yet...

• Upvote 2

Klemen Bobnar

This. Thread. Made. My. Day. :D

NB: My favourite for getting into calves is still a 'rod of correction' placed between the calves and hamstrings in a kneeling position. It's horrible. It's great. It's horrible. It's great.

I love/hate this one too. It hurts so good :D.

Colin Macdonald

Ha ha,surprised the mods haven't butchered this thread yet...

The secret is mixing in the smut with useful information.

• Upvote 2

Josh Schmitter

I used to have a couple page pdf with a bunch of different pictures showing all the uses of the rod. Anyone know if this is floating around somewhere as I have misplaced it.

Also, what do you find is the best size diameter...thicker or broom handle style?

• Upvote 2

Keilani Gutierrez

I used to have a couple page pdf with a bunch of different pictures showing all the uses of the rod. Anyone know if this is floating around somewhere as I have misplaced it.

Also, what do you find is the best size diameter...thicker or broom handle style?

i've used a 1-7/16 dowel and can feel the difference if i use something with less girth. #phrasing

• Upvote 2

Josh Schmitter

I saw what you did there Tanstaafl :-)

I was dead serious when writing that too; only noticed after the fact...and it was already written by then.

David McManamon

As noted above there is a book, The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook, probably every good masseuse I know owns a copy.  

I personally have a Theracane, roller, and lacrosse balls for those days when I get a little carried away and over-train.

People do ask questions if you take it out in public, I tell them it's multi-purpose.

• Upvote 1

I've not used on before, but if you use that and a wall to exert the force while just maintaining a good position with your arms I could see it being useful for getting into and under the shoulder blade area. But you can do the exact same thing with a ball. In general, the most simple concepts are the most effective. You don't need all the fluff.