Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Stretches to Do?

Timothy Aiken

Timothy Aiken

Just as in Foundation One there are seven moves toward which the courses progress. While I understand Stretch One may or may not include this format, and we won't know that until it comes out, are there any foundational positions toward which one should work in the meantime? What stretches should one aim to develop in order to succeed in GST? By no means am I asking about S1 details, just valuable stretches.

Thanks

Keilani Gutierrez

I chose my stretches with a combination of movement patterns and trouble areas. i'm learning anatomy on the fly for about the past year or two, so it's essentially looking like this

feet: flexion, extension, pronation, supination 

hip: flexion, extension, external rotation, internal rotation, transverse abduction and adduction. 

spine: flexion, extension, lateral flexion, rotation

shoulders: lately i've been working more on chest opening, because that's what i've needed the most, so i haven't researched much of anything else. shoulder flexibility/mobility includes scapular articulation. so learning how to retract, depress, protract, elevate has been vital in loosening myself up. 

arms: flexion, extension, pronation, supination 

and culminating in wrist stretches. 

for someone with the F and H courses, that goes, H1 wrist stretches and wrist prep, HBP/RC and H1 mobility for shoulders, SL & FL PE's and iM's for spine prep, including hips, sPL mobility covers hip rotation at first and then developing lateral glute and hip strength and the FLS(or single leg squat - SLS progressions) for knee prep, MN for pike. you could do calve raises + stretches, which i do on my F7 days, just not for the ridiculous(to me) high reps that Coach mentions in a recent podcast but i guess mastery templates can be tweaked to include deloads into so many calve raises. <_< 

the only thing left out is neck and focused foot and hand stretches. I do the mobility as a separate stream on Handstand sessions, so if i'm in need of body line work cause of tight quads I'll do a floor Quad stretch to limber up and do some strict glute bridges + side planks, for example. 

sorry i can't help you further. I'm essentially doing HBP + RC mobility for upper body on handstand days, with FL -iM's + quad limbering from Foundation(1-3) Handstand(1) mixed in with the spirit of moving through planes of movements and reading up, like on this link. it's easy to get overwhelmed, but following a "train" track of sorts approach has allowed me to get some decent stretching done even after F7-2x a week. 

Edited by Coach Sommer
  • Upvote 1