Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Would lifting weights help in rings?

doofus93

Hey guys

I was wondering if lifting weights would help in ring strength. I've done rings for some time, not the advance stuff but just stuff like levers, support position, muscle up, different ring push ups, dips etc. I have been stuck at levers, front and back, for some time now. I started from the basic tuck and now i'm at the flat back tuck position but i feel like i am not improving. Aside from rings i also do static positions like hollow body holds, arch body holds and other core exercises, thus i was thinking if i should add weights into non-ring day workout. Also, i'm curious about the relation between a person's size/build and his strength to weight ratio. The bigger the person, does he need to reduce his weight to carry less or just focus on increasing strength?

Thanks for your advice :)

Bryan Wheelock

Weight lifting doesn't develop the tendon strength needed for safe ring work.

It might augment progression, but it'd depend where you were starting.

I'd checkout Foundation for proper progressions.

• Upvote 1

These questions have been discussed quite a bit on here :) someone friendly who has a moment may well post a few thread links; otherwise the search function is your friend.

Welcome to the community :)

Tinu Blaettler

I personally made the experience that lifting weights is not really helpful for the rings.

Furthermore, I'm always sored and reducened in movility after weights...

However, exercises like planche/maltese holds on a bench with a plate in each hand definitely help to develop those ring skills.

• 2 months later...

From my experience weight lifting in gymnastics is really only good for injury prevention, and lighter weight is pretty much always used. 

Like GymPerformance said, doing maltese presses with dumbbells or static holds with  a plate on a bench in the hollow body position will absolutely help your planche / maltese. 

There just isn't really any substitute for straight ring work in my opinion. 

Ryan Hutchins

Will it help? Yes
Is it the best use of your time? No

Will body levers help you develop straight body strength? Yes

Will negative front lever and back lever lifts help? Immensely

Basically to get better at a good position it's better to spend more time in that position vs mixing in other unrelated training. If you are plateauing then I can give you ten better ways to break out of the rut than weight training. Just let me know. Having said all that I power lift and weight lift in the morning and train gymnastics at night.(evil laugh :icon_twisted: )

• Upvote 1