Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

L-sit pullup question

theglue

Hey all, I must say the L-sit pullup is throwing me off a bit, since while I can barely do any of the basic gymnastic static holds or progressions, I can crank out L-sit pullups fairly easily with strict form, legs parallel to the ground, chin well over the bar at the top and arms fully extended/shoulders open at the bottom. Based off of the observation that I dont perform well in other gymnastics exercises, I dont believe that I have acquired much physical strength or neuromuscular efficiency yet, it would make sense to think that I do not have much difficulty performing these pullups due to decent shoulder flexibility. However, I cannot even perform a simple bridge, which i hear is actually more about opening the shoulder girdle than back flexibility, so I do not believe I possess good flexibility either. Does anyone know anything in-depth about the performance issues of the L-sit pullup that would explain why I am able to do this move but barely anything else? I never specifically trained for the move, and have only recently started training L-sits on the ground

One, it sounds like you really haven't practiced a lot of the static holds in the first place. They get better with more practice. How's your levers, you should find those easier than planche stuff if you can do L pullups.

Bridge flexibility takes some back flexibility but ideally it's shoulder flexion that we aim for in gymnastics. As well, like other skills, it takes some practice.

Hey Blairbob, thanks for your response. In terms of static holds, I've been practicing the basic planche, back and front lever progressions, with an emphasis on the back lever since it seems to be a pre-requisite to an actual planche and a compliment to the front lever. Also, the back lever feels like it places a load on my elbows, which i need to strengthen since I injured my wrist due to hyperextension a few months back and have now decided to exercise my planche progressions with hands facing 45 degrees backwards to avoid unnecessary straining of the wrist, at the cost of forcing my elbows to directly support more weight. I'm currently at a mere straddle for the back lever, though at times i have difficulty opening my shoulders up, and for the front lever im still working on perfecting the advanced tuck. Do either the front or back levers exercise my shoulders? I havent been doing any handstand press or handstand pushup work since i injured my wrist, just to stay on the safe side, so it'd be nice to know of any way to strengthen my shoulders without the need to place too much weight on bent wrists.