Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hip flexion rehab for deck squats and tuck-ups

Joss Delage

My hip flexion is poor, which is making deck squats and tuck-ups difficult for me. Does anyone have some good pointers on stretches or specific areas to foam roll / lacrosse ball smash? I need a set of tools that isolate the hip flexor from the lower back.

Thanks!

Alexander Egebak

My hip flexion is poor, which is making deck squats and tuck-ups difficult for me. Does anyone have some good pointers on stretches or specific areas to foam roll / lacrosse ball smash? I need a set of tools that isolate the hip flexor from the lower back.

Thanks!

Post in foundation forum and we will help. Or simply use search function. Plenty of topics similar to yours around.

Alexander Egebak

Thr question has nothing to do with foundation though. Dont know why you would not post advice here.

Because we could discuss in depth about flexibility for THOSE particular exercises since a good answer would embrace that aspect. But it is wrong to give away restricted information about foundation exercises such as those mentioned in OP and it is hardly possible to not let something slip out. That is just my opinion.

Besides, there are plenty of similar topics in the F1 forum.

Look into Yoga for specific stretches that target the hip flexors and or the hip extenders.

Off the top of my head......

Cobra   "Bhujangasana"

Upward Facing Dog "Urdhva Mukha Svanasana"

Bow "Dhanurasana"

Low Lunge "Anjaneyasana"

• Upvote 1

Look into Yoga for specific stretches that target the hip flexors and or the hip extenders.

Off the top of my head......

Cobra   "Bhujangasana"

Upward Facing Dog "Urdhva Mukha Svanasana"

Bow "Dhanurasana"

Low Lunge "Anjaneyasana"

Hmm....  It's hip flexion I'm looking for help on - knees to chest. I would think the child pose would be better (but I find I don't get enough of a stretch unless someone else actively pushes down on my lower back....)

Instead of relying on someone else: Lay down on your back, bring your knees into your chest, wrap your arms around your bent legs and pull your legs into chest.  As with child pose, If you do what I have described you will feel your lower back stretch out, not the hip flexors.

The yoga poses I listed off all stretch the hip flexors to some degree.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Keegan Yentsch

First, I agree that the OP should leave out the specific exercises that he is looking to improve his flexibility on as it's not really that important. He could have just asked the general question "what are some good stretches to improve hip flexion flexibility?" Leave the course specific questions to the private course forums.

Second, from the sounds of it he is not looking for stretches for the hip flexors but instead looking for stretches to improve hip flexion (so stretches for the hip extensors i.e. hamstring group and glutes as well as spinal extensors).

Regarding pointers...

First it's helpful to know where you specifically are lacking flexibility, so it's good to test:

-bent leg hip flexion

-straight leg hip flexion in straddle

-straight leg hip flexion in pike

-straight leg hip flexion with leg crossing center

-knee extension while hip is flexed

-lumbar spinal flexion

-lumbar lateral spinal flexion

Depending on which stretches you feel you are tightest in will allow you to focus your efforts more specifically.

In terms of general tips:

-using elevated seated hamstring stretches tend to offer more passive assistance from gravity than seated versions, but less than standing versions. They also provide better stability than standing versions, thus making them a good starting point for beginners who may have tight and weak hamstrings or lower backs.

-if you have the requisite strength then doing weighted hip flexion exercises (Romanian Deadlifts, stiff legged Deadlifts, Jefferson Curls, Good Mornings, etc...) can help to stretch the hip extensors while simultaneously building strength in a stretched position

-while doing passive stretching (not loaded stretching though) your goal should be to attempt to relax the target muscle as much as possible

-while performing static stretches brief contractions (3-10 seconds) followed by relaxations of the target muscle can be used to increase the ROM of a stretch and achieve the greatest ROM of stretch in a much more time efficient way than with standard passive stretching

-loaded and isometric stretching should be treated like strength training and should therefore not be engaged in on a daily basis; the muscles need time to recuperate and adapt. Dynamic stretching however or even IME light passive stretching can be done daily.

Hope that helps.

• Upvote 2