Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Relationship between Ankle Flexion & Calf Flexibility?

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Is there a relationship between the two? For instance, will stretching my calf improve my ankle flexion?

Keilani Gutierrez

dorsiflexion ROM grows and flexion contraction usually gives me some cramps as soon as I finish some dedicated calve stretching, so something good must be going on. ^_^

• Upvote 1

Keegan Yentsch

The ankles actually "flex" in two directions:

Dorsiflexion-this is what is commonly known as "flexing the ankle"/top of foot and front of shin come closer together

Plantar flexion-this is what is commonly called "pointing the ankle"/think of standing on your toes

The calves are the primary Plantarflexors (Soleus when the knee is flexed/bent, Gastrocnemius when the knee is extended/straight) and thus are the primary limiting factor in passive Dorsiflexion ROM.

So yes, stretching the calves will improve your ankle Dorsiflexion ROM. You should do both straight leg calf stretching and bent leg calf stretching if you want the best overall results; though if you have a specific exercise that you feel your ankles are limiting you in it would be wise to figure out whether bent or straight leg stretches will help you more.

• 3 weeks later...