Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

training with ankle weights - useful?

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

Hey guys,

I have a question about weighted training.

I do chin-up pullovers, full and 90 degree leg lifts, dips, chin levers etc as part of regular gymnastics training at the end of practice.

At what rep range is it useful or recommended to add ankle weights?

For example, I can do about 3x12 full Hanging leg lifts. Should I start adding weights? Is it better to perform 3x12 normal ones or 3x7 with weights? What is the difference? Same for press handstands and V-Sits! Does it make sense to train with weights?

I haven't used weights yet, only for split jumps and leaps!

Thanks in advance

I remember Coach saying that ankle weights weren't really a good idea for elements that have a balance component to them. When people asked about planche/maltese/front lever/etc with weights, he said no because it changes the elements and the adjustments made to them can actually be detrimental.

Same for press handstands, he even specifically mentioned one of his athletes that was at a crazy number of presses in a row (was something like 30 I think) and that to stabilise his shoulders even more, he added weights. He concluded it was a mistake and he should have taken him to 50 reps instead.  :lol:

However, no arguments against weights for dips, leg lifts or V-sit. Depends on the exercise.  :)

• Upvote 1

Katharina Huemer

I remember Coach saying that ankle weights weren't really a good idea for elements that have a balance component to them. When people asked about planche/maltese/front lever/etc with weights, he said no because it changes the elements and the adjustments made to them can actually be detrimental.

Same for press handstands, he even specifically mentioned one of his athletes that was at a crazy number of presses in a row (was something like 30 I think) and that to stabilise his shoulders even more, he added weights. He concluded it was a mistake and he should have taken him to 50 reps instead. :lol:

However, no arguments against weights for dips, leg lifts or V-sit. Depends on the exercise. :)

Thanks for your answer! Of course, I also think it is bad to add weights to exercises that use balance or where the centre of gravity would be changed, like for example in tucks or handsprings!

But thanks for the press handstand thing, I didn't realized this was bad as well!

But what about the other exercises? How many reps should you be able to do before starting to use weights? And what are the benefits?

Alessandro Mainente

for advanced elements on rings weights on your hips is better then on your ankles.

Matteo Morandi used to practice the rings routine with weighted vest around 1/4 to 1/3 of his bodyweight.

for the rest ankle weight are good if implemented in a periodization so that you can build up more basic strength and after convert it into explosive movement.

• Upvote 1

I would build your HLL up to 30 reps rather than focusing on adding weight. Remember that the core (abs, obliques, low back etc) are first and foremost endurance based stabilizers. Their ability to generate enormous power for low reps is a secondary function.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Katharina Huemer

I would build your HLL up to 30 reps rather than focusing on adding weight. Remember that the core (abs, obliques, low back etc) are first and foremost endurance based stabilizers. Their ability to generate enormous power for low reps is a secondary function.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks Coach, that's what I was looking for!!!!