Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Gymnastics, Posture, and Injury - Interesting Article

Kevin

I've always thought that a gymnastics-based training produces superior results that can be transferred to many other sports. When I read this article, it caused me to wonder if it is more dangerous than I had thought. Although to be fair, I guess the article isn't really bashing gymnastics - it's only emphasizing the importance of a balanced training program - and that can be done with gymnastics.

Anyone care to comment?

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/320/

• 10 months later...
fisheromen1031

Interesting article indeed. I will definitely try to keep the author's comments in mind, though I must confess that most of the article was over my head. My kinesiology knowledge is VERY minimal so I've got alot of studying to do to figure out how to incorporate this stuff into my training.

What little I have read of Coach Sommer's articles seems to indicate that his routines try to keep training balanced. For instance, working the planche and front lever progressions at the same time works the lower spine both in flexion and extension. As far as I can tell, the desired outcome of those two progressions is holding the spine in the same configuration as when standing with good posture.

How do others try to keep your routines balanced around the joins and with respect to range of motion? Do you do standard weighted squats? How do you handle the vast range of motion of the shoulder?

when you see this:

"I have worked with gymnasts for 30 plus years and I can’t tell you how many Elite level girls can’t do handstand pushups or hold a really solid handstand. Many clubs have also abandoned real flexibility training, or left it up to the girls themselves(same thing as abandoning it) and the results are horrific."

I ask myself if he ever saw an elite gymnastics.

"I have had direct experience with this. Gymnastics was my first sport, starting at age 14. Training was skill based and we attempted tricks right away without developing the necessary base strength or addressing inherent weaknesses. Since the sport requires landings to be “stuck†we ended up doing many, many landings with straight legs, bending at the hips to maintain balance. This resulted in a L5- S1 fusion which wasn’t detected for many years. Lack of leg strength or proper lumbar curves also resulted in a full knee dislocation while attempting to “stick†a full twisting back."

At the age of 14, oh I get it now, he was always in recreation program based gymnastics, where knowledge of gymnastics is way lower and they train diffrently, so only for tricks :arrow: who will train only boringly exercises, they are there for tricks and nothing more.

With straight legs? Proper landing in gymnastics is no with straight legs. In program for all gymnast is to learn proper landing..

"Both isolation rotator work (band and dumbell work in transverse, sagittal and frontal planes) and integrative work overhead kettlebell work) will help stabilize the shoulder girdle for the huge loads gymnasts put on them. LOTS of rear deltoid and rhomboid work will help counterbalance the gymnastics training and create a more balanced athlete, much less prone to traumatic injury. "

If he was ever in REAL gymnastic program, he would see all that rotator work.

I would give him a point only in a hamstring problems, where many athletes forgot about that. But lately coaches already pay more attention about that.

I didn't said there is no injurys in elite gymnastics, there is alot, but more due to new code of points and body exhaustion.

I for myself didn't have any serious injurys for years!!!

The author merely had the misfortune to spend his formative years in a program that failed to emphasize correct physical preparation and basics. Interestingly, after he wrote the article, on the Dragondoor forum he also expressed that he wished he had had the opportunity to have trained in my program. He felt that the outcome would have been substantially healthier and more beneficial.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I remember reading this before. I think Coach told him not to generalize all gymnastic training like this or something.

My family has land in Arizona, someday I would like to go see X-treme gymnastics, and Coaches athletes.