Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Quality control

Wheelson

Hello Everyone. Long time Lurker first time poster.

Question, When starting handstands is it more beneficial to work on actually getting a handstand and then worrying about aesthetics, or work toward achieving a handstand with the aesthetics as you first learn them. (completely straight back and perpendicular to the floor etc.)

I guess my question is, If I'm working toward the modern fashion handstand, should I practice them with no curve initially, or should I actually work on getting a decent freestanding handstand before worrying about back arch?

Just started training them yesterday and I can already do a 5 second hold freestanding :D

If you can do a 5s Free HS, it is time to start working them properly eliminating that back arch, head out and closed shoulders.

For my little guys, very beginner 4-7yo I just want them on their hands showing support getting one foot above and hopefully not landing on their nose by keeping their arms locked out. We'll work wall HS focusing on proper body shapes but it can be trying because their attention spans are typically very poor.

After they get some semblance of competence is when I usually start correcting flaws like their lack of lunge, eye/head position, back. It will also vary upon the child and how much they can understand/pay attention to.

Work them perfectly against the wall... stomach to wall + hands as close as possible

Then when you can control the body position with your forearms... push your feet off the wall a little

Joshua Naterman

Yes sir, Mr. Brain! That's worked for me! I've been doing handstands on the wall for about a month now, and I am always trying to get as close to the wall as possible. I get around 3-4 inches away, my chest keeps me from getting any closer, and from there I've been working a good straight body line. Now I am off the wall completely, free-balancing for 4-5 seconds at a time for my wall sets, it's so awesome! I am still learning the tuck press into free handstand, but the wall drills are what is making the difference. I can actually get the occasional good press into a handstand and hold it, perfectly straight, for 8-10 seconds. Most of the time I crass after a few or don't quite get up straight, but it's coming. Working the wall is a definite key step in learning the free-balancing stuff.

Coach Sommer
Work them perfectly against the wall... stomach to wall + hands as close as possible

Then when you can control the body position with your forearms... push your feet off the wall a little

This advice is perfect.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer