Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

a question I often ask myself

mus0001

Hey guys, I have just one question to ask, is what it is possible to combine bodybuilding and gymnastics ? I was told it helps for strength, something like doing a 5x5 program, for example, but exercises such as the squat, bench press, the biceps curl or the military press make heavy the person for the full planche, human flag and front lever, is that true ?

Thank you in advance

In the abstract, yes, it is possible to combine the two.  Indeed, going back in history a bit, they were not so distinct.  However, the methodologies and exercises are more distinct now, if we think in terms of going to the gym and lifting barbells, dumbbells, and using various machines (bodybuilding) as compared to going to a gymnastics facility and using parallel bars, rings, etc, to build strength.  

The practical response is that it is hard to do both, just from a matter of time and resources.  Some focus is needed.  Choose the one that is most appealing and the most available, i.e. the one you will most likely do.  

Unless some considerable attention is paid to nutrition, such that the individual becomes very muscular, the person is naturally very large, or some steroids are used, it is unlikely that some form of bodybuilding training is going to make the ordinary person too big to do basic gymnastic movements or holds.  

Thanks for the reply my real goals is to hold more time on the full planche, front lever and flag

At the moment i can hold a full planche 4 sec, and i think that the bodybuilding give me most strength which will allow me more time to hold the full planche.

Sorry for my english and for my mistakes

If your goal is planche and front lever, then you should focus on GST (Gymnastic Strength Training™), not body building.  You could spend your whole life with dumbbells and barbells and be no closer to achieving any of those goals.

I am doubtful that you can hold a full planche.  If you could do this, it would speak to having considerable strength all ready, and not being at a stage when one inquires as to whether to undertake bodybuilding or not.   Most of use here are endeavoring to perform a straddle planche, and many of us will never be able to execute a correct full planche.  

Alexander Egebak

Ok thanks for the reply i will continue with the GST but it´s possible to include squat with bar because are too small ?

If you listen to the newest podcast Coach Summer mentions that you can do other routines at a maintenance level as long as it does not interfere with GST, because that should be your main priority