Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Weighted rings dips carry over to planche

waler white

A ring dip with what addition percentage of bodyweight is equal to a planche ? I can currently do 3 ring dips with an additional 120 lbs with a 5 second hold at the top and bottom for a full range of motion at a bodyweight of 148.  How heavy do I have to go to be able to go to jump into a planche on the floor ?

You will not get a planche because of dip strength. You might get one of those bent arm, arched body things that some people call planches. But you won't have a planche. 

• Upvote 1

You need to strengthen the following areas of your body: middle and lower trapezius muscles, all of your shoulder muscles(Deltoids and rotor cuff muscles), triceps, and core(Mid to Lower back and abdominals) for planche. In addition to the muscles you will also need to work strengthening the tendons of the above listed group of muscles.

If you are going to ask for a customized workout routine, start with Foundation1.

Daniel Burnham

The coolest thing I have ever done to carry over to planche was....a s**t ton of planche. :D

Funny how that works. Idk why people always ask about exercise equivalency. Training the movement is the most straightforward way to achieve a goal.

• Upvote 1

will planche actually give me strong middle and lower traps? I have pretty bad "hunched forward shoulders" which gives me very sore upper traps and my physiotherapist says its because of weak lower and middle traps. However, i have a 6sec straddle planche hold and have been  currently doing exercises like face pulls and scap retraction along with chest stretches to try and correct the imbalance. 1month in, nothing seems to be working away my tight upper traps. any advice?

Maybe you are not protracting enough in the planche? Protracting will emphasis the listed areas of your weakness.

No, protraction works the serratus anterior.

will planche actually give me strong middle and lower traps? I have pretty bad "hunched forward shoulders" which gives me very sore upper traps and my physiotherapist says its because of weak lower and middle traps. However, i have a 6sec straddle planche hold and have been  currently doing exercises like face pulls and scap retraction along with chest stretches to try and correct the imbalance. 1month in, nothing seems to be working away my tight upper traps. any advice?

Fixing your posture has a lot of different factors:

1.  Constant awareness.  It's not how much time you spend training, it is how much time you spend consciously holding your body in the correct position.

2.  Mobility work.  The problem is never just one muscle being tight, or just one part of one muscle being weak.  There are many muscles and their antagonists that influence posture.  Loosen the tight ones, strengthen the weak ones.

3.  Strengthening weak muscles is best done by constant awareness of your posture.  Secondary to that is exercises, which also must be done with correct form.  Good form is far more important than the amount of weight.

I'm new to GST, but I had a lot of success with a beginners barbell program, mobility work, and developing an awareness of my posture.  Deadlifts, squats, rows (not pullups so much, but rowing motions), farmer carries... there are piles of different exercises that will help, but if you spend 8+ hours a day slouching at your desk/on your couch, the workouts aren't really going to fix anything.

• Upvote 1

Fixing your posture has a lot of different factors:

1.  Constant awareness.  It's not how much time you spend training, it is how much time you spend consciously holding your body in the correct position.

2.  Mobility work.  The problem is never just one muscle being tight, or just one part of one muscle being weak.  There are many muscles and their antagonists that influence posture.  Loosen the tight ones, strengthen the weak ones.

3.  Strengthening weak muscles is best done by constant awareness of your posture.  Secondary to that is exercises, which also must be done with correct form.  Good form is far more important than the amount of weight.

I'm new to GST, but I had a lot of success with a beginners barbell program, mobility work, and developing an awareness of my posture.  Deadlifts, squats, rows (not pullups so much, but rowing motions), farmer carries... there are piles of different exercises that will help, but if you spend 8+ hours a day slouching at your desk/on your couch, the workouts aren't really going to fix anything.

So much truth in this. Thanks for that :) i'll be more conscientious throughout the day