Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Correct" deadhang "technique"

Ralph Palutke

Hey guys,

i have a quick question regarding dead hangs. What are some major focus points?

In particular, I'm not sure about the following to things:

1) Shoulders: I know they should raise next to the ears as high as possible by just sinking into 

the hang. Should I concentrate on opening the shoulders (slightly retract), protract (like in a handstand) or just don't care and keep them neutral (even if the shoulders aren't completely open

that way).

2) body line: Should my body line be hollow or neutral (just hanging, even if my body will slightly arch

that way due to tight hip flexors)?

Please don't tell me I'm overthinking things here, because I really need a correct hang in the hopes

of fixing my shoulder impingement.

Generally speaking and as far as I know.

Relax your body as much as possible. Part of the purpose of dead hangs is to gradually lengthen and decompress the spine.

• Upvote 1

David McManamon

Correct?  Interesting question, I never just do a dead-hang by itself, after doing just a dead-hang for a bit (15-30 seconds)  I experiment with a variety of hand positions either turning my wrists if I'm hanging from rings or changing my grip on a bar, I shrug and move in circles, I swing my hips in circles, then I take a rest and repeat.  For me, palms facing out seems to be a bit neglected and I wouldn't have noticed that in the same way doing things like weighted bar dislocates because there is no bar I own which I can grip that way.

1) Hang as if you were a dead man tied to the bar.

2) Neutral. You can play with hollow and arch as well.

Hanging in other grips can be useful for flexibility.

For my beginner kids, I just like them to hang from a bar and play with doing 1/2 turns to mixed, L-grip, Overgrip>Undergrip>L-grip, etc.

I've done with adults but you just have to take it slower and sometimes scale it with toes still on floor.

Colin Macdonald

I think the 'correct' position is just to hang and try to lose all tension except your grip. But I'll also do some small movements shrugging my shoulders up and down, and front to back.

Another great variation is to set up your rings near a table at about the same height. Place your feet up on the table and hang sideways off of the rings (with one side of your body facing the ground, the other towards the ceiling), once again trying to relax and hang as deep as possible. Does that make any sense? This can be a very intense stretch for the whole side of the body.

Patrick Van de Glind

Please don't tell me I'm overthinking things here, because I really need a correct hang in the hopes

of fixing my shoulder impingement.

Hey P5yx, I have a shoulder impingement as well.. where did you hear that deadhang will solve this, and why was this suggested?

I'm excited to try this as well.

I was told i should work on rotator cuff strength with weights, and not do much shoulder overhead work (No HS/HSPU's)

Léo Aïtoulha

You can do passive hang, the one that Rayne-William described : relax your body & use scapular elevation.

But also active hang : from a passive hang, depress your scapula.

More advanced : arching active hang : from an active hang, retract your scapula.

They are excellent for shoulder stabilization :)

• Upvote 1