Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New cycle questions

Fryk

I have just started a new cycle two weeks ago. I have a few questions which I haven't been able to figure out myself or by reading BTGB. I was doing a simple four times a week split with BL, FL and Planche combined with FBE.

Before this cycle I had a max-day to establish how long I could hold my statics. On this occasion I achieved more than 15 seconds in all three progressions (FL, BL and Planche). Therefore I am currently trying to progress to do the next progression in the planche and FL (adv. tuck and one-legged ). In the Back Lever however I were already at full lay, so what to do? I mean I have no reason to go for 60 seconds of full back lever.

Currently I am doing the Reverse Crank in lay two times a week. However I thought it might hinder my progress not doing the back lever as often as before. But I am not sure that it is a good idea to do a FBE four times a week.Also I have been trying to implement some Manna work instead of the Back Lever, in order to keep doing three static exercises per work out, which haven't been working out especially well.

So the questions is:

- Can and should I try to do the Reverse Crank four times a week?

- Should I skip the Manna ( for now ) and focus on building strength in BL ( through back pulling movements ), FL and Planche?

My "short" term goals is to learn the FL and the Planche. Where as the long term goal would be a iron cross.

Any inputs?

If you want to ultimately have a manna, DO NOT skip it.

4x a week with an exercise is fine... but it might be a good idea to add something else unless you really want to get good at those.

planche and front lever aren't short term goals... unless you're already really freakin strong.

I have no particular need for the as such manna. I choose the Manna because my work-outs so far had consisted of three static exercises: BL, FL and Planche. Which I felt was a good way to go, and I didn't want to mess with the basic lay-out. I question that decision. Can the Reverse Crank be regarded as a static exercise - and as the logical successor to the back lever??

As long as I am at it:

my current work-out template:

Warm up

alternating routines:

support position or 10 min handstand

Planche + exericse 1

FL + exericse 2

Manna + exercise 3 ( leg usually )

exercise is a rotation taking me through most of the FBE in a week, where exercise 2 is the reverse crank two times a week.

I am not sure about this lay-out, though.

the reverse crank is not a static exercise. it could be a form of embedded BL and a step to being able to do the 360 levers or straight body skin the cat.

levers can be a 2-6mo journey for some people but figure on a year for IC, kind of depends where you are starting.

IC? Integrated Conditioning?

I figured that the Reverse Crank wasn't a static exercise, but I reckoned that there is a strong static element in that exercise. It is also some what strange to discontinue an exercise after spending a good amount of time and effort doing and learning it. I think I will just stick with my current template, though I am not sure that I will do the reverse crank two times a week. After all continuous progress in the Front Lever and Planche is more important than the Back Lever.

Thank you for your help

Coach Sommer
In the Back Lever however I were already at full lay, so what to do? I mean I have no reason to go for 60 seconds of full back lever.

You have two options:

1) You may first stabilize the BL by gradually building up to 5 sets of 15 seconds static hold.

2) Or you may now move on to the XR Support Position. If this is not challenging enough then proceed on to the XR L-sit.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Great, a different path!

Does these two different options represent emphasis toward different skills and movements in the future? I mean, I have no particular favorite I like both the L-sit and the Back Lever.

I recall something about a carry-over from front lever to L-sit (though I am not sure it works the other way around, is there anything to this?