Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you stretch after every workout?

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Scott Pelton-Stroud

Do you stretch after every workout?

I do a quick routine of about 16 different positions for 20 seconds each after every F/H workout (5 days a week). I've been trying to actually stretch (pushing to increase ROM) instead of just limbering.

I've heard a lot of varying things about stretching lately, so I'm just curious what other people do!

I limber after my workouts (same, about 20 positions 20 second each). Before handstands I also limber using the same format. But I leave the heavy stretching for separate days.

I think it's just personal preference and what works for you. IMO, some people do benefit from stretching everyday, some people prefer to limber instead, some people only limber and stretch like once a week and have splits (hate those people).

Alexander Egebak

I limber after my workouts (same, about 20 positions 20 second each). Before handstands I also limber using the same format. But I leave the heavy stretching for separate days.

I think it's just personal preference and what works for you. IMO, some people do benefit from stretching everyday, some people prefer to limber instead, some people only limber and stretch like once a week and have splits (hate those people).

Agree.

Without being an expert on this field I would belive that 20 seconds in each stretch is too little time. I would do 30+ seconds. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

Really depends on the size of the muscle, your goals, etc. If you are stretching hard to explore new ROM, then some big muscles like quadriceps you'd want to hold longer. But smaller muscles may require smaller time.

For limbering I really just hold the stretch long enough until I feel satisfied with it. Even with stretching, it's just so dependent on the individual person. For instance, I have made huge gains in hip flexor flexibility, but I have never not once exceeded the stretch time beyond 20 seconds for these muscles.

• Upvote 1

ForzaCavaliere

Without being an expert on this field I would belive that 20 seconds in each stretch is too little time. I would do 30+ seconds. Correct me if I am wrong on this one.

30s is ideal. Any more is redundant, if I recall correctly. 

To OP, choose a few stretches for each body part and excel. 

I stretched every night just before bed for 10mins for a while, with 30 seconds in each position. Got to front splits in a month. Now even though I don't practice stretching anymore I can get into front splits whenever I feel like it. 

Daniel Burnham

I quickly hit splits, pancake, pike and shoulder stretches in my warmup.

I then do a stretch routine after my workout which differed depending on the day. At minimum I relax in to my splits. Other days I do weighted and pnf.

Alessandro Mainente

Dynamic stretch at the beginning and warm up with IM's already been mastered, IM during, then after the workout PNF 2 times a week and passive combined with active on the other 4 days. Used to do poses of previous IM's that i feel are good to improve my weak points.