Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic routine - impressions and feedback please

Trevor Catterall

Trevor Catterall

Hello all

I have read the Gymnastic Bodies book and worked out the exercises I can do, those I can barely do more than 1-2 reps and those that I have no chance of doing at the moment. I read the Programme design guide and have settled on a whole body strength routine combining static work with strength work. Here is what I have come up with.

Routine 1a

pull-up

frog stand + raised fx push-up (use pb’s)

deck squat

pb tuck + hll tuck half

Routine 2a

xr ground rows

frog stand + pb jumping dips

single leg squat negative

pb bent + archup

60 sec hold (based around 5-10 sec sets depending on strength)

3 sets x 3 reps for strength element

I will cycle these 2 routines every other workout. I cannot do any front or back levers yet as I am not strong enough. I intend to train 4 days per week in combination with my boxing. I am using a steady state cycle and intend to stick with the exercises as outlined here for 8 weeks to allow the overload>load>underload progression.

Is this any good? Should I be cycling 4 different routines as opposed to just the 2? Should I increase the length of sets in the hold exercises as I get stronger during the 8 week cycle or wait until a new cycle?

Coach mentions that it is best not to increase the reps/change the exercises until your body has adapted over the 8 week cycle. Does that mean I should not be increasing the difficulty of a particular movement - ie. change negative single leg squats to full rom single leg squats?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to feedback.

If you are using a steady state cycle program, the reps and sets and hold duration remains the same the entire 8-12 weeks.

One of my lil guys is unable to hold a tuck front or back lever. I was getting a bit frustrated with it and I didn't want him to just work it using skin the cats. I have opted that he works 5s negatives instead of the hold. He enjoys it because he feels like he is doing the movement but it's tough on him. He does bend his arms a bit in the front lever and I'm not worrying about it this point ( Coach Sommer states somewhere in the book, I think regarding negative front levers that's it's ok if the arms slightly bend ).

In fact a lot of this program, looks what I have him doing.

4 different routines, you could but keeping it simple is alright at this stage of your training as a beginner.

Trevor Catterall

Thanks for the helpful reply Blairbob. Myself and others are very appreciative of the time and effort you spend helping people out.

I am a little unsure as to what negative front and back levers are. I am considering adding the tuck levers as single repetitions without the hold - ie. pulling myself into the tuck position, lowering back and then puling into another tuck. Both levers are so integral to a gymnasts development that I would like to incorporate them into my routines as soon as possible.

Trevor Catterall

Ignore the last post I think that I will do 3 sets x 3 reps for both the front and back tuck levers (not static). As I progress I will try to hold the tuck for as long as I can and then progress onto a static 60 sec split.

The final routines look like this:

Routine 1a

back lever tuck + pull-up

frog stand + raised fx push-up (use pb’s)

front lever tuck + deck squat

pb tuck + hll tuck half

Routine 2a

back lever tuck + xr ground rows

frog stand + pb jumping dips

front lever tuck + single leg squat negative

pb bent + archup

For the negatives, he starts in an inverted tuck position and slowly lowers to the lever over about 5s.

Joshua Naterman

My buddy Nate is just now able to hold the tuck levers after about two months of trying :) It was really funny to watch, good thing he has a sense of humor! He's really excited now, at first he couldn't even hang upside down! You'll get it man. The negatives are the way to go. Eventually, when you are comfortable in the inverted tuck, start from straight body inverted hang and tuck into your lever as you come down.