Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rope Climbing progress

Fady Georgi

Fady Georgi

Hi,

I was wondering what are good progressions to rope climbing and if I should be able to develop one arm lock before being able to climb rope, also what progressions to develop grip strenght for one hand hang on the rope (actually I've problem on hanging with one hand on rope :( )

Thanks !

It can be difficult to develop a one arm hang on rope. Best to train it on rings or a bar and hold something with the free hand to take some of the load off of the hanging arm, basically a self assist.

I use this rope climb progression.

climb up 1/2 way with use of legs, climb up all the way with use of legs, climb all the way up with use of legs and climb down hands on only in straddle or pike, climb 1/2 way up without use of legs then the rest with legs, climb all the way up without legs.

you can also start working double rope climbs or inverted rope climbs "chameleons".

for those very weak and unable to do the first rope climb progression, we practice climbing down from a big block, hand under hand or climbing on a knotted rope or just focusing on pullups.

• 1 month later...
if I should be able to develop one arm lock before being able to climb rope

No, you can climb rope without legs before you develop one arm lock.

hey fady,

this might help:

(the exercises start at 3:10)

His accent is nearly as bad as Arnold Schwarzenegger's but the exercises are really cool 8)

• 1 month later...