Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Fingertip pushups and grip strength

irongymnast

With fingertip pushups I feel more strain on the triceps, much more than when doing normal ones.

Is that happening to everyone else as well?

If your push up form:

A: Includes keeping your elbows close to your side. Then yes, you will feel greater strain in your triceps.

B: Allows for flaring your elbows out to the side away from the body. Then you will feel greater strain in your chest muscles.

I think you misread. I was comparing fingertip pushups to regular (palm) pushups (pushup form A or B for that matter).

I think you misread. I was comparing fingertip pushups to regular (palm) pushups (pushup form A or B for that matter).

Nope. I knew what you were referring to. I just cut to the chase and told you which push up form tends to target which group of muscles. Hand placement is a trivial matter compared to the push up form you happen to use.

If you want to target your chest more while you do push ups on your finger tips use form B.

If you want to target your triceps more whille you do push ups on your finger tips use form A

I still can do standard fingertip push ups as well as decline finger tip push ups.

I think you still missed the point.... I'm sure iron gymnast is aware of which push ups focus more so on which muscles he was comparing flat hands wi same elbow position as fingertips with the same elbow position. So only thing he change in his push up was the position of his fingers and he felt more strain in his triceps.

I didn't miss the point. I understood what he was implying. I have experienced what he was saying in my own training while I was following the first and second running and physical training scheduals of the Pre-BUD/s Warning Order back in the mid 90's. During that time frame, I however found that it wasn't my hand placement that caused the increased strain but the change in form. Back then I was switching my hand placement from one set to next while maintaining the same form with full range of motion.

While you are doing standard pushups change your form while keeping the same hand placement and find out which muscle group is targeted more. You can also, test your hand placement while maintaining the same form.

Alexander Egebak

Fingertip pushups require your arms to stabilize more, which may lead to increased triceps contraction in order to complete the movement without a change of form.

It cannot tell you wether you change your form or not while doing fingertip pushups, but it is very hard not to do it.

Also, with untrained fingers and wrists it is very unwise to train fingertip pushups since it can lead to injury. Find a decent set of progressions towards fingertip pushups. Else I believe H1 is preparing all that for handstands.

• 2 weeks later...

The first question was: "Would fingertip push ups increase grip strength?" - Yes they but not so much to notice on their own. Following the H1 wrist series however DEFINATELY WILL AND DOES!....Also, I myself combine this with someone heavy farmers walks on mondays/wednesdays....and my grip strength has gone rediculous within 6 months!

The second question was: "With fingertip pushups I feel more strain on the triceps, much more than when doing normal ones.

Is that happening to everyone else as well?" - Personally, No I don't. I feel the tension increase in the forearms for obvious reasons but nothing changes in the triceps. But that's just me! ;)

He didn't ask about hand placements/flaring elbows/elbows in, or which muscle groups he wanted to hit and how.