Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

improve legs strenght

rkendricks1988

rkendricks1988

Hi Coach,

I was hoping you could help me put together a leg program or routine using the leg exercises in your book. I am a rookie at this so can you help work my way up. My goal for my legs is to be strong as possible and to improve my vertical and I guess you can say its gymnastics for basketball.

Ok, I messed up on editing your original post as I was trying to move to "Getting Started" and in the progress lost your post, Nifty. I merged it with the one in "Getting Started" but accidentally deleted that one instead of the one in Dynamic Strength besides the one in Basic Strength. There is no need to start up one topic in multiple threads.

From what I remember of Nifty's post, it stated that you follow the Single Leg Squat variations described in the book and then move on to SLS jumping variations after attaining a standing SLS to the deck and back.

Do you have the book? It sort of lays this out and shows the progressions.

What is your vertical jump currently besides your height and size?

What current Single Leg Squat progression can you do for reps? Example...how many Single Leg Squats can you do on each leg? Can you do one at all, yet? ( no biggie, SLS is very much a skill besides requiring flexibility and balance besides just leg strength ).

If you notice a lot of the leg workouts in the GB WOD are 3x5 SLS coupled with floor glute-hams resting for 3-5 minutes between each. That is a good workout for leg strength.

For leg power, 3x5 SLS progression jumps coupled with depth jumps ( find an appropriate height that is good and safe for you ). Jumping deck squats work as well besides "Senders" which are plyometric jumps { "punches" on the floor with the feet ) over objects of appropriate size ( check out the video ).

Richard Duelley

No worries Blairbob. You summed up my thoughts exactly, and to sum myself up again. . . SLS are amazing :mrgreen:

rkendricks1988

Right now I am on the first Single Leg Squat progression SLS negative. Im doing 3x5 on M/W/F until im able to do ten in a row under control. As for floor glute-hams im having problems find a way to do them at home any ideas.When i find a way to do them at home I will in put into my program also doing 3x5 on M/W/F. I can do 3 SLS on my right leg and 1 with the left because of the lack of flexibility in the left leg and like you said im having more problems with the skill requiring flexibility and balance. I do have the book. Can anyone help put together and program with both leg strenght and leg power?

Look at the leg workouts posted on the GB WOD. I posted the leg sections of what should be your workout.

No idea what your other goals are. Work the simple action of holding the bottom position after you lower to it.

If you can get one of those doorway pullup bars, you can set it fairly low enough in the doorframe to do a floor glute ham.

1-2 days a week of focusing on leg strength. 1-2 days a week focusing on leg power ( depth jumps, jumps, etc )

rkendricks1988

Can you post the link to the leg section/workout you talking? My goal is to improve my vertical jump. Is any of the deck squat jump form of plyometeric? After I lower myself into bottom of SLS how long should I hold it? Is it better to do strength and power in the same day?

Do strength and power on seperate days if you want to get the absolute benefits of either.

The GymnasticBodies WOD is posted on the front page of the site and under the forum "Workout of the Day." Look for the workouts that work leg movements.

A deck squat jump can be plyometric but they are so...barely.

If you are able to do a satisfactory negative SLS for at least 5s you can probably skip holding the bottom. If you have a hard time balancing or getting into the position it would be best to work holding the bottom at a seperate time than when attempting the negative SLS.

rkendricks1988

I was lookin at some of WOD and saw notes on the Negative SLS and it said If a full ROM SLS is beyond your current level of strength; restrict the ROM by substituting a Graduated SLS. What does this mean? Does that mean to put a box under you while doing Negative SLS or skip to the next progression which is Graduated SLS. What is the different Natural Leg Curls/GHR?

Natural Leg curls are the first movement in the hamstring section. They are easier than the GHR shown which also include a back extension like movement in them.

For example, if you cannot do a negative SLS for a decent time ( 7s ) then it would be better to do a graduated SLS for the same amount of time. Figure out where that point is that you lose control and adjust the ROM accordingly.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest cccp21
Ok, I messed up on editing your original post as I was trying to move to "Getting Started" and in the progress lost your post, Nifty. I merged it with the one in "Getting Started" but accidentally deleted that one instead of the one in Dynamic Strength besides the one in Basic Strength. There is no need to start up one topic in multiple threads.

From what I remember of Nifty's post, it stated that you follow the Single Leg Squat variations described in the book and then move on to SLS jumping variations after attaining a standing SLS to the deck and back.

Do you have the book? It sort of lays this out and shows the progressions.

What is your vertical jump currently besides your height and size?

What current Single Leg Squat progression can you do for reps? Example...how many Single Leg Squats can you do on each leg? Can you do one at all, yet? ( no biggie, SLS is very much a skill besides requiring flexibility and balance besides just leg strength ).

If you notice a lot of the leg workouts in the GB WOD are 3x5 SLS coupled with floor glute-hams resting for 3-5 minutes between each. That is a good workout for leg strength.

For leg power, 3x5 SLS progression jumps coupled with depth jumps ( find an appropriate height that is good and safe for you ). Jumping deck squats work as well besides "Senders" which are plyometric jumps { "punches" on the floor with the feet ) over objects of appropriate size ( check out the video ).

******************As an aside(and i don't know if this helps or not) but the SLS negative has really helped the bottom part of the regular squat(could be the stability involved).

Brandon Green

And that is why I train the bottom position of the SLS/pistol in the WU assisted or non assisted as a priority when training the SLS/pistol.

15s, quickly ramping up to 30 or 60s holds in a row or accumalative depending on ability. Once they can hold these, we simply work the SLS/pistol in the WU for that duration of time.

Guest cccp21
And that is why I train the bottom position of the SLS/pistol in the WU assisted or non assisted as a priority when training the SLS/pistol.

15s, quickly ramping up to 30 or 60s holds in a row or accumalative depending on ability. Once they can hold these, we simply work the SLS/pistol in the WU for that duration of time.

What about this one-1) two legged plyometric drills where one lands relatively low(after sufficient flexibility and strength development),mid level and high(Oleshko or Ozolin don't remember which suggest that plyo's are most effective at

15-20 degrees around the joint angle that he landing occurs in). Of course plyos are quickly adapted to and should not be "over

used"(see Christian Thibadeau). Typically 2-4 week "blocks" 1-2 times per year(up to 4).

Brandon Green

Currently, we work 2x a week " depth drops " into the stick position as part of our WU at times. My hope it to transition these into a depth drop down from a lower height into a bounding jump but they need to learn how to simply stick their landings in the first place. We can do bounder drills as well but as a whole they are not ready to jump out of a depth drop yet.

I have little guys, either being new to gymnastics or young or weak or all of the above. While some impressive upper body strength or trunk strength they are all pretty poor when it comes down to the waist below. Ben was actually an exception to this group as far as lower body coordination, strength, and power but again exception. He may join back after the summer, hopefully.

I do not like single leg squats.

I dont feel they are good for knees, you need to do the perfect movement for not destroying them.

I think that I will start to do them when I will lift 2x BW,

which is now pretty much the standard of healthy, good looking and functional legs.

I suggest everyone on the forum to set this standard.

I am leaning to prefer the DL over the squat for a gymnast. Too much possibility to get size in the legs which you don't need when squatting. DL works everything which is very useful especially according to some of Barry Ross's programming on sprinting which I think goes hand in hand with gymnast desires as they are similar to sprinter's ( preference for not adding body ass while getting as strong and as powerful as possible ).

For gymnast's, we can work all the SLS and deck squats and plyo squats, etc.

Deadlift is incredibly demanding, but I dont like it because of the limited ROM of the movement.

Big legs are a problem for someone, but not this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYTkp9xM0cc [youtube embedding doesnt work!]

It's a 120kg 5x5, and his needs are the same of vaulters/tumblers: jump higher. He has lean legs.