Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle imbalance/injury issue - will swing work fix it?

Blairbob

This is primarily directed at Coach S, but I'm welcome to have anybody else answer.

I recently tweaked my right shoulder/neck again. This used to happen a lot ( not in the past year really ) but I think it's an issue of push to pull work. My left shoulder and elbow also feel tweaked but on the joint and not in the tendon/muscle. This is probably due to under-recovery earlier this week

If you look up at my log ( I'll sum up ) I do a fair amount of HS work besides swings on PB and PH before doing my programming which is mostly statics+ dynamics with leg work thrown in there and usually ending with presses on the wall series and V and straddle-L hold.

I don't swing on our HB a lot due to the fact that it's basically naked because it's used as a strap bar. I will swing rings a bit but honestly I'm thinking if I start swinging more on rings or PB or HB it'll correct this issue out.

My dynamic pulling work is now rotating through vertical, inverted and horizontal pulling work that rotates every day but is included 4x a week. However, I think it's the ratio of push to pull work that is getting to me. I pull heavy DL 1x/week as well besides a bunch of shoulder mobility stuff.

For those without a gym and limited equipment ( rings and parallettes ) you may want to take this to mind, especially if you're doing HS work before and after whatever is your WOD since most of your pull work will just be the lever work on rings and pullups. Again, I think my ratio of pull to push strength is off.

My boys/kids at gym don't seem to have this problem as we typically swing Rings or HB or PB in long hang every day.

Its suprising that Ive got the same problem as yours, shoulder/neck pain quite hard to localice, and happened both at the same time. First I though it was because of a hit or something in my shoulder due to breakin, but after 2 weeks of restin and no improvement I decided to start stretching and working it a lil bit, and also start to informing about muscle imbalance too. I've read in these forum that pull, especially front lever pulls are so good to shoulder health, and I found that I've putted down all my pulling exercises, due to an increment on planche lever, HS pushups etc. So I just started at the beggining of this weekend some pulling exercises dropping all pressing ones, and now it is not completey recovered, but it feels waay better, I hope it helps in some way : )

I tweak my upper back/neck area once in a while and I can't tell if its nerve impingement or muscle strain. I work around it and it goes away after a few days. The one thing that keeps it from happening more frequently is to have a good neck joint mobility series (I use Maxwells but intu-flo is good too) done every day. My push-pull ratio is fine, and I also do heavy deads.

Joshua Naterman

It's really important to work your traps. They are the muscles that connect to your neck and your shoulderblades, and if those are underdeveloped you will experience pain. I have noticed that for me, doing a reverse yewki into a regular yewki works my traps pretty well. It's not the same as shrugs, which I am going to re-incorporate once a week, but they are helping. So if you are bound and determined to stay away from iron, yewkis and reverse yewkis on the parallel bars will help. I generally start from an L-hang because my p-bars are homemade, and then do the yewki, go to inverted hang, then reverse yewki, then back down to L-hang. I do this in sets of 5-10, usually 2 or 3 sets twice a week. I started this a week ago and I feel better already. Hope this helps or sparks new ideas!

I don't know how to do swing work, so I have no idea what it feels like. Wish I could be more informative on that blairbob!

that's exactly why i added in the front lever tuck pullups and inverted pullups ( body curls )

Joshua Naterman

Ah, I wasn't thinking about it in those terms. I hope it helps! Let us know! I will say that the yewki to reverse yewki works my traps differently than the lever rows and the inverted pullups, i feel it a lot more. Could be because I am really heavy though :)