Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How do you feel after a workout?

Katharina Huemer

Katharina Huemer

I read that you can achieve best performance if you work out everyday, but focus on low intensity (like 10 dips, 10 pull-ups, 10 leg lifts etc) the one day and high intensity (hollow rocks, push ups, v ups,...) the other and rest one day per week.

Is this stupid?

And how do I know if I should train more often? I don't feel anything after working out (besides a little tired and wobbly legs due to leg workout) and also not on the next day. Not at all!

How should I feel right after and the next day of a workout?

How do you feel?

I usually feel tired directly after working out. Muscle soreness usually starts making itself more obvious several hours later.  I am usually sorest on Tuesdays and Wedsnesday when I typically might have two different workouts back to back.

Directly after a workout, depending on the intensity, you should feel relatively tired. The next day, depending on the intensity, muscle soreness is a dull achy feeling. You rlegs being wobbly after a leg work out is common.  If you typically don't feel relatively sore the next day, your work load isn't high enough for your body. Feeling sore isn't a required for continued strength and or muscle development.

The thing about working out is the fact that everyone's body will respond differently to different intensity levels. Some people do really well with low intensity while other do really well with mid to high level intensity.

Keep your foundation series workouts in line with how Coach Sommer has developed the course and if you want to try working out six days a week, try it for 12 weeks.  I typically have as few as four workouts a week and as many as nine workouts a week, not including a regular yoga routine.

• Upvote 2

Julian Aldag

If you don't feel anything after a workout, its possible you're not working hard enough.

Working out every day to achieve the best performance...that's something that will maybe work for you or maybe not. It depends on where you are at in level of conditioning at present. It depends on a lot of stuff, actually.

I do know that hand balancers train basically every day, as do many oly lifters and wushu practitioners. I don't know about gymnastics but I do know that athletes have to build up to that kind of work capacity over a long time.

ForzaCavaliere

You don't need to alternate between low and high intensity every successive day.

What's important is that a few times a week you have the high intensity (your real training), and on your "rest days" you actually stay active (eg. I do 12 pushups whenever I read/hear a particular word, do 30 situps, sprint a bit, or whatever). I've found that if I stay completely sedentary on rest days, strength gain is a lot slower overall. 

In summary, you can even do high intensity only twice a week and have the other days all be low intensity, you can still make gains.

Jeremy Huston

I don't feel much soreness after Foundation work.  I'm tired and sweaty at the end of the workout.  I have enough energy left that I could do more but not so much that I really want to.  I'm usually not sore the next day either but I can tell my muscles are tired and wouldn't be able to repeat the workout if I tried to.  And I'm making good steady progress, so it seems to be the right level.  By deload week, my fatigue has caught up and I'm ready to have an easy week.

When I was lifting barbells about 8 months ago...leg day in particular would just crush me.  Walking up stairs was a challenge after the workout.  My legs would be sore for 3-4 days after.  I would only work legs once a week and I was still making progress.  Same was true for my pressing and pulling work but the soreness wasn't as severe.

So even for the same body, there are different ways to get results.  I'm definitely enjoying getting stronger and more mobile without being miserably sore half the week :)