Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you know a woman who can do a sitting straddle press?

lisiflex

Is there a woman on the board or do you know one, who is older than 20, is NOT doing gymnastics in college also is NOT an Elite who can still do a straddle press handstand from floor with good technique?

I have seen many women who do yoga, they can do pike presses and straddle presses from a stand, but when they do sitting straddle presses, they either cheat by putting their legs on their elbows first so they don't need to lift their hips up with pure strength or they bend their arms totally!

Thank you!

Jonathan Pettit

It's not a very fair question.  You're basically asking, besides people who have specifically trained for this skill, can someone do this skill?

The coach or leader or whatever you want to call her of a local gymnastics club can do one.  I think so at least.  Admittedly, I'm a very poor person to judge technique for this type of skill.  I know one of her students, a young girl, who is training for this (with remarkable success: I sometimes wonder if this ten-year old girl is stronger than me).  I suppose neither fit your criteria, but very few people will.

• Upvote 1

Yes. I have seen a girl learn it not as a gymnast.

Thank you! What I have seen so far is that many little girls, who are younger than 13 can often do one and even a few in a row. But I have actually never seen a fully grown lady, older than 18 or 20 years do a good straddle press handstand unless she is still a college gymnast or a cirque artist. And even then it's very rare compared to the many girls do it!

so strange as I would guess the older the stronger!

Daniel Sarnowski

Yes, I have seen several grown women learn this fairly basic hand balancing skill. But naturally all of them trained for it for a long time. I doubt you'll find someone who isn't trained in circus/gymnastics who can do it well. It takes so much time and diligence to master, that by the time someone has learned the skill, its safe to say they are at least an amateur gymnast/cirque artist.

'the older the stronger' is sadly not generally the case. Kids are really strong and energetic in general, as well as the fact that being smaller makes it a lot easier( less body weight, lower center of gravity). And kids also tend to learn a lot faster than adults, they don't have decades of proprioceptive patterns already ingrained. Also, by the time a girl has become a grown women, her physique has probably changed a lot ( heavier lower body), making the skill a bit more challenging. But nonetheless, I have seen some very 'womanly' ladies execute the move pretty well. Also, flexibility is essential for this move, and women generally have an advantage there.

Yes, right now I can think of three women that I know that can do this and learn't it as adults. All of then now work with circus.