Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scapular position and body form

Farid Mirkhani

Farid Mirkhani

Hello all!

I know that for a lot of pushing movement you need to be hollow with depressed and/or protracted shoulders, but what about pulling movement? When doing simple rows, should you PPT and have retracted+depressed shoulders? Same with pull ups?

Thanks.

Alessandro Mainente

for rows variation not retraction but neutral scapulas on the bottom, increase retraction at the top. the position in therms of elevation / depression could be changed in function of press variation.

• Upvote 2

Considering the nature of the ultimate row type gymnastics strength element (Rodrigues- FL pull to Victorian), maintaining a strong PPT on the road to that is a given :)

• Upvote 1

Farid Mirkhani

Thanks guys.

I don't know what I would do without gymnaticbodies, the amount of information is crazy.

I've always done my rows and push ups with an arch, because I had no idea what PPT was. Even a simple plank was done with an arch (something I see all the bros in the gym do). Now that I do them in the correct position, the change in difficulty is dramatic!

Can't wait for foundation, so I can do everything right from the very beginning!

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

Thanks guys.

I don't know what I would do without gymnaticbodies, the amount of information is crazy.

I've always done my rows and push ups with an arch, because I had no idea what PPT was. Even a simple plank was done with an arch (something I see all the bros in the gym do). Now that I do them in the correct position, the change in difficulty is dramatic!

Can't wait for foundation, so I can do everything right from the very beginning!

Foundation will most likely rape you, as it is doing to me. So many things I do wrong, atleast one thing per workout to correct! Greatest was learning ppt in hbh, protraction doing pushups and neccessary rom in abh. Put me back many months...

for rows variation not retraction but neutral scapulas on the bottom, increase retraction at the top. the position in therms of elevation / depression could be changed in function of press variation.

I always thought protraction was necessary? I come from a weight lifting background (still do lift weights). In a lot of exercises your scapula needs to be in the same position drugin the whole movement. But i see in gymnastics it's a lot different. I always had my scapulas retracted during body rows, for example. Even at the bottom. Is that really bad?

Edited by WadeWilson

Alessandro Mainente

You cannot compare the different context. in the major part of lifting exercises retraction is necessary to make the lower back arching easier and prevent back injuries. in the body you need to reach the maximal biomechanical advantage from a position. in therms of retraction during certain exercises you will gain zero benefits from retracting completely, on the other side you can feel a loss of muscles activation.

• Upvote 1

Thank you! :)

EDIT: I can't find anywhere what PPT means? Can anyone explain, please?

Edited by WadeWilson