Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I can hold bridge for 57 sec - should i increase time or enough?

erjcan

I can hold bridge approx. for 1 min.

2 options:

• support this 1 min personal record in static strength
  • keep increasing time holding the bridge

What should I do?

Jeremy Huston

57 sec is not 1 min  :icon_twisted: Why quit when you're so close?

Seriously -- are your feet together, knees straight, shoulders over hands, lumbar spine neutral?

Show us your bridge.

Yep

57 sec is not 1 min  :icon_twisted: Why quit when you're so close?

Seriously -- are your feet together, knees straight, shoulders over hands, lumbar spine neutral?

Yep

ok, i made this video - my bridge, now observe if I m doing it right!

the video is here on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gg1LRvlHdfI&feature=youtu.be 

please give me feedback, i think I m pretty GOOD!

David McManamon

A lot of the flexibility classes have us do 1 minute bridges, you should work on increasing your flexibility and strength so it is no longer work for you to hold the position for 1 minute.  Add bridge rocking to open your chest, straighten your legs, walk around the room, do leg kicks & limbers and eventually with more open shoulders and a better backbend it won't be much work.  A one minute bridge was a pre-requisite one particular flexibility coach I knew used to "weed out the undesirables"

Coach Sommer

... i think I m pretty GOOD! ...

You thought wrong. That bridge is pretty bad.

Standards for a correct bridge; in order of stages of development.

1) Initially you may need to begin with elevated feet and simply trying to elevate the torso off the ground.

2) The next step is to attain straight arms. The arms may be wider than shoulder width if necessary to accomplish this.

3) After achieving straight arms, it is time to work on narrowing the width of your grip. At a minimum bring the arms into shoulder width. My own athletes were required to touch the index fingers and thumbs together in a diamond.

4) With absolutely locked arms, now begin focusing on shoulder flexion by pressing the shoulders/arm pits out in front of the hands.

5) While maintaining all of the other cues, now work on straightening the knees. The feet may be apart during this stage.

6) Now work on bringing the legs together. The heels may be off the ground.

7) Finally work on pressing the the heels down until your entire foot is flat to the floor.

As you can see by the above requirements, your bridge still has a substantial amount of refinement left to achieve.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 17

You thought wrong. That bridge is pretty bad.

3) After achieving straight arms, it is time to work on narrowing the width of your grip. At a minimum bring the arms into shoulder width. My own athletes were required to touch the index fingers and thumbs together in a diamond.

I didn't know that one :) I'm most comfortable a little closer than shoulder width, but should I work to narrow that?

Christian Sørlie

Of course you should Jon :-) No need to ask.

We did it this way when he was at the Oslo seminar.

• Upvote 1

Of course you should Jon :-) No need to ask.

We did it this way when he was at the Oslo seminar.

Sweet! Tweaks! :D Like the pushing shoulders back, I thought I was doing it incorrectly by going narrower. This is the value of having access to a detail-oriented Coach :)

• Upvote 1