Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How muscular?

Bob Sanders

Bob Sanders

I won't be at the elite level but how muscular can I get with the gymnastic training book?

Bob Sanders

Ha ha yes. But Yang Wei is a beast. I'm just an average guy. He's been training ever since 5 and is at the elite levels.

Trevor Catterall

There are too many variables to answer this question. Look at Olympic gymnasts' muscles. You can get muscle like that if you train hard enough. Look at someone in the street. If you do no training you can look like that. Also take into account how much and what you eat as this can greatly effect how much muscle you can build. Then look at your genetic profile as this too will impact what size you can achieve.

I spent ages buying different books (about 15), following different routines but never sticking with anything for longer than 2 months and as a result my muscle gains have been pathetic. The only area where I have established anything nearing decent is through pull-ups because I stuck with them for 6 months or so. As a result my bicep and lattisimus dorsi muscles have grown faster than any other.

My advice to you is to throw yourself into gymnastic bodies as much as you can. Design a good training routine and stick with it. Ignore all the other companies trying to sell expensive equipment as you can achieve most things through body weight resistance. Don't make the same mistakes lots of people make trying to find the ultimate training programme, asking questions, reading lots, doubting their own ability, giving up as soon as things get tricky and ultimately not doing nearly enough training. Commit yourself to a long, hard slog that will ultimately be very satisfying.

Any guy can build a body of a gymnast through hard work. Look at many bodybuilders or crossfitters.

Are they going to be as strong as an olympic WL/PL, gymnast...probably not. It takes years.

Joshua Naterman

Muscularity = lean mass +low body fat (and at the bodybuilding show level, low fluid retention)

That's all there is to it. Build your muscle, however you build it, and lose your fat, however you lose it. That's how you become muscular. Gymnastics builds muscle quite well, so you can be as muscular as you like. You have a high bodyfat percentage, your real focus needs to be on effective fat loss.

If you have an average body already, results will come faster. I used to do bodybuilding and once I was at 195lbs (for a 5'10" guy) I started to do lots of cardio because I was getting too heavy and had no stamina and eventually dropped down to 165 and that has been my weight for the past 4 years. I implemented bodyweight exercises to my routine about 2 years ago and when I found out about rings, I dropped the weights (literally). Even though I brought my bodybuilding muscles with me to gymnastics, some muscles had actually been "stuck in development", I didn't think my biceps would ever get any bigger but rings definitely busted that plateau and now they seem to keep growing and growing :D . In the words of Guns & Roses: "All we need is just a little patience".

Bob Sanders

Thanks guys for your helpful word of advice. I used to do bodybuilding too. I stop because it got too frustrating trying to compete people who uses steroids. I also was switching routines a lot trying to find the perfect routine. I got tired of people who are at pro level but won't help me or at least give me some advice and guys who are average looking praise themselves like they were a bodybuilding genius. I've decided to go back to wrestling and also would like to pack on now muscles. I am also gonna try to compete in my Navy ROTC PT and Drill team next year so I will probably be very busy to go to the gym. I also noticed this year that my uniform was getting tighter so the bulking thing of bodybuilding really sucked but I think I am better now.