Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dodgy (left) shoulder!

Gregory Bland

Gregory Bland

So ever since I began lifting weights nearly two years ago, I struggled massively to recruit my left and right arms/shoulders evenly. If i wasn't explicitly focusing on trying to push as evenly as possible, by the end of multiple sets to fatigue of an exercise, my right side would be dead and my left side would feel barely worked out. Even when I tried to recruit my two sides evenly, my right side would still work harder and feel more tired (and it grew a bit bigger and stronger).

After a while I worked out the issue was actually my left shoulder joint, and in an effort presumably to protect itself my body limits the power output in my left shoulder somewhat and shifts my weight distribution naturally so I use the right side more. I don't know how long I had this problem before weight lifting since I was inactive physically for quite a few years, but I certainly don't remember having this issue as a kid (though of course it may have been there and I just hadn't noticed).

To put it simply, my left shoulder simply feels "loose" in its socket. My right one feels tight and robust and rotating in any direction (with or without weight) feels safe and solid- basically it feels like I imagine my left one should too. The left however, feels extremely vulnerable in certain positions and movements (biggest issue when rotating like backwards arm swings especially at the top of the movement). It almost feels like its always about to "click" but doesn't quite- indeed I've injured myself in the left shoulder several times quite painfully doing trivial things like lifting a mat overhead or whilst extending my arms forcefully whilst trampolining. The shoulder just pops slightly and causes a massive spike of pain internally in the shoulder (it has nothing to do with the major muscle heads).

Now it doesn't make too much difference for weight lifting- just causes slight imbalances but since no movements are overly taxing of the shoulder in vulnerable positions I just ignored the problem.

However moving to GST has highlighted the problem significantly. For instance before I would do a plank with a straight body line but no scapula protraction and would not really notice the imbalance too much. Now doing planks in a gymnastic style as demonstrated in the F1 vids puts my left shoulder in that vulnerable position and it feels far weaker and not structurally safe. Same issue when I try a tuck planche- right shoulder feels solid, but left one feels like it might almost at any minute "pop" out of position slightly and cause me massive pain and an injury.

Does anyone else have any experience with a similar issue with their shoulders? How to rehab the issue (if its at all possible)? I'm guessing over time the iMs in HBP and H1 should make my shoulders a lot more robust (and mobile) but it feels like the shoulder isn't quite in the socket right beyond just having an injury in the left shoulder...

Any ideas? :(

As an interesting aside I noticed my left trap is noticeably more developed than my right trap- perhaps a protective mechanism? :P

Farid Mirkhani

Hello.

I think you have shoulder impingement. Caused by too much pressing and little to no pulling.

Can you stay under a door entry, place your left arm overhead on the wall, attempt to walk forward without letting go of the wall. Does this hurt? If so then it can be solved by letting go of all pressing work, do Face pulls, body rows, dumbell lateral side raises, shoulder dislocators and stretch your pecs, lats and front shoulders.

Alexander Egebak

Hello.

I think you have shoulder impingement. Caused by too much pressing and little to no pulling.

Can you stay under a door entry, place your left arm overhead on the wall, attempt to walk forward without letting go of the wall. Does this hurt? If so then it can be solved by letting go of all pressing work, do Face pulls, body rows, dumbell lateral side raises, shoulder dislocators and stretch your pecs, lats and front shoulders.

This.

A case of tightness in chest and pain/irritation/cracking/popping in shoulder is either an injury or an upcoming one. You should do isolated weight training my dumbbells to fix your imbalances in your rotator cuff.

A good exercise would be standing, having a weight in your left hand and put it on your belly; now raise your arm outwards and swing the dumbbell up to level your head, while your arm does not surpass shoulder level, only your forearm may. Then lower back. Perform these controlled for 15-20 reps with only little weight (3kg maybe).

This exercise shoulder strenghten and increase blood flow in most of your rotator cuff and as well stretch your chest to increase shoulder ROM.

Gregory Bland

Thanks for your advice guys, I will attempt the rehab exercises you've both suggested. If they cause pain should I stop or push through it? Things like front raises and xiaopeng forwards (motion starting off with nearly a front raise) feel like they rip up my left shoulder really badly (fine with right though) however If I persist with an exercise I eventually warmup and the pain largely goes away- except the next day when I wake up and I have dull soreness internally in the shoulder, which I presume is a bad thing.

Alexander Egebak

Pain = stop

Discomfort = stop, unless you are stretching.

Stretching out your shoulder is supposed to relieve the irritation, increase your ROM and thus prepare it for the motion training and strength training, you do afterwards.

Pops, clicks, pain, discomfort is a warning from your body that you are fragile, and when you do your training, alwasy listen. If forementioned happens you are doing something wrong; wrong part worked out, bad movement pattern or too intensive training (overall volume and load).

Farid Mirkhani

This.

A case of tightness in chest and pain/irritation/cracking/popping in shoulder is either an injury or an upcoming one. You should do isolated weight training my dumbbells to fix your imbalances in your rotator cuff.

A good exercise would be standing, having a weight in your left hand and put it on your belly; now raise your arm outwards and swing the dumbbell up to level your head, while your arm does not surpass shoulder level, only your forearm may. Then lower back. Perform these controlled for 15-20 reps with only little weight (3kg maybe).

This exercise shoulder strenghten and increase blood flow in most of your rotator cuff and as well stretch your chest to increase shoulder ROM.

Do you mean like this:

http://www.building-muscle101.com/images/alternate-front-dumbbell-raise.jpg

?

If so, I would not recommend to this as this will lead to more imbalance.