Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

trying to lose fat. My nutrition plan

DareToBeGymnast

DareToBeGymnast

Hello guys. I am Into GST for quite a while, and i've managed to be ready to finish the foundation 2 program. i'm 185 lbs at 6'1" (a lil bit tall :P for gst) and i confess that i have put some decent amount of muscle these 4 years that i practice GST.I just started to follow IF and i am fasting from 20:00 till 12:00. So, my meals are exactly those which i eat every day.

MEAL 1(12:00)

1/2 cup of muesli with dried nuts and fruits
200ml of skim milk
30g protein powder
1 cup of orange juice
maybe some coffee

MEAL 2(post workout)

250g lean ground beef
250g steamed brown rice
200g steamed broccoli
1 cup of orange juice+5g of creatine monohydrate

MEAL 3

1/2 chicken breast
1 large tomato
1 large cucumber

MEAL 4(my smoothie)

1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 cup raspberries
1 banana
3 small cucumbers

MEAL 5(20:00)

handfull of dried apricots
handfull of cashews

total macros:

PROTEIN: 146gr
CARBS: 300gr
FATS: 64gr
TOTAL CALORIES:2300

I am working out 5-6 DAW, practising 2 times a week my found 2 with my H1 (mon:FS4,tue:FS3,wed:H1, repeat)

what do you think about my plan. 1) does it need more protein? 2)does it need less carbs?(i don't drop them cause i just have 1 rest day which is sunday, at sunday i drop them to half) 3)what do you think about it's consistency and my total calorie intake?

Thank you in advance

Jesus Rojas

Well I think you need to include more good fats like coconout oil, raw cacao, avocado, avocado oil, bacon and also raise your egg consumption(personally I eat eggs almost every day). Another point that I want to say is I don't support that all your orange juice because I prefer you to eat the whole fruit because to do the juice you need more than a orange and get a lot of sugar in that glass, is only mi point of view. Also your meal 4 and 5 doesn't  include protein, I prefer to include protein in all my meals because I lke to follow a paleo diet with a more balance relation between carbs and protein. Try to eat more vegetables than fruit because fruit is similiar to vegetables with the differences than one contains sugar. I prefer to eat fruit after my workout when a feel a little bite fatigued, but in the other meals I prefer to eat vegetables, some meat and a natural source of fat.

Edited by chuchodani

DareToBeGymnast

Well I think you need to include more good fats like coconout oil, raw cacao, avocado, avocado oil, bacon and also raise your egg consumption(personally I eat eggs almost every day). Another point that I want to say is I don't support that all your orange juice because I prefer you to eat the whole fruit because to do the juice you need more than a orange and get a lot of sugar in that glass, is only mi point of view. Also your meal 4 and 5 doesn't  include protein, I prefer to include protein in all my meals because I lke to follow a paleo diet with a more balance relation between carbs and protein. Try to eat more vegetables than fruit because fruit is similiar to vegetables with the differences than one contains sugar. I prefer to eat fruit after my workout when a feel a little bite fatigued, but in the other meals I prefer to eat vegetables, some meat and a natural source of fat.

i think i can add somewhere some egg whites for some extra protein, and yeah, you are right that i have to fix the ration between my fruits and greens, it will reduce the carbs so that i can fill the gap with protein and some good fats.i could also remove the one cup out of two of orange juice a day. One bad thing is that i cannot find coconut oil in greek supermarkets :/(i'm greek :P)

Jesus Rojas

Why only the whites ? Yolk has the most rich part, I personally eat them whole and I feel great, do your own research by trying it yourself, if you want to, of course :)

DareToBeGymnast

i actually love yolks, it's just that this plan was made as a "sample" so that i can tweak it a lot by taking all of your advice here. for example, i think that with that much carbs, i can't eat them all between the hours i'm fasting. i think it's just too difficult. maybe 220g of carbs would make the deal. and then, the ramaining calories should go for more protein and some good fats(avocado and coconut oil)

• Upvote 1

Jesus Rojas

i actually love yolks, it's just that this plan was made as a "sample" so that i can tweak it a lot by taking all of your advice here. for example, i think that with that much carbs, i can't eat them all between the hours i'm fasting. i think it's just too difficult. maybe 220g of carbs would make the deal. and then, the ramaining calories should go for more protein and some good fats(avocado and coconut oil)

Ok we both love yolks !, and why do you choose to do IF ?

DareToBeGymnast

Ok we both love yolks !, and why do you choose to do IF ?

i want to lose bodyfat, and it makes it easier for me to count calories :) it's a plan for a month. i'll see what are the results, and then i sure will share my thoughts with you

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
Damon Amato

If you can tolerate that amount of carbs daily you're lucky.  Only general suggestion I'd make is not to eat carbs at least two hours before a workout, and not the first half of the day for sure.  That'll help to utilize muscle glycogen better, increase epinephrine spikes and epinephrine sensitivity to muscle cells.  Also better for overall health.

Chris Vanwell

I don't see how this diet plan is going to help you lose fat if you aren't eating any.  In my experience the easiest way to lose fat is on a Ketogenic diet because that way your body is used to burning fat.  I prefer a Carbnite or Carb-Backloading approach, where you keep your carbohydrate under 30g in general and then do your carb refeed either on the weekend or after your workouts.  Cyclic Ketogenic diets also make it much less difficult to do intermittent fasting.

But in general, you seem to be afraid of fat.  Try eating more fat and fewer carbohydrates.  Some suggestions for this:

Get rid of Skim Milk, Drink Whole milk.

Eat your egg yolks it's where the nutrition is, the whites are just protein.

Put Butter on your Veggies, eat less rice.

Eat fewer fruits, Don't drink juice.

• Upvote 2

Jon Douglas

Put Butter on your Veggies

I don't like to comment on nutrition much as I don't know enough about it to advise, but I wanted to take a sec and emphasise this particular point. Butter in green veges is fantastic and easy way to get a bunch of benefits :)

DareToBeGymnast

I don't see how this diet plan is going to help you lose fat if you aren't eating any.  In my experience the easiest way to lose fat is on a Ketogenic diet because that way your body is used to burning fat.  I prefer a Carbnite or Carb-Backloading approach, where you keep your carbohydrate under 30g in general and then do your carb refeed either on the weekend or after your workouts.  Cyclic Ketogenic diets also make it much less difficult to do intermittent fasting.

But in general, you seem to be afraid of fat.  Try eating more fat and fewer carbohydrates.  Some suggestions for this:

Get rid of Skim Milk, Drink Whole milk.

Eat your egg yolks it's where the nutrition is, the whites are just protein.

Put Butter on your Veggies, eat less rice.

Eat fewer fruits, Don't drink juice.

Well, after some more reading about proper gymnast nutrition, my new macronutrients and calories are 174 protein 232 carbs and 77 fats, 2320 calories (caloric deficit). in a daily basis, i eat whole eggs, i try to have at lesat one green in every of my meals, or at least on 2-3 out of 4 meals. i am eating 2 times a day fruits (1 banana and 500g watermelon, as i love watermelon during summer), i try to eat 2 types of meat a day (chicken-beef/chicken-fish).My carb sources apart from veggies and fruits consist of brown rice and white potatoes(which i eat in moderation during the day(1 cup of brown rice a day or 200-250 gr potatoes a day). Fat sources i use in my nutrition are olive oil(we produce that in my village), peanut butter, salmon and tuna. i can't find coconut oil in greece, i would like to cause someone here suggested that i put that in my nutrition too, but i can't find it nowhere.

Edited by DareToBeGymnast

Damon Amato

I don't like to comment on nutrition much as I don't know enough about it to advise, but I wanted to take a sec and emphasise this particular point. Butter in green veges is fantastic and easy way to get a bunch of benefits :)

I'm good friends with John Kiefer (author of carb nite and carb backloading) and I like his quote, "vegetables are only useful as a vessel for butter."  There is a lot more science to that than you think.

Daniel Burnham

I'm good friends with John Kiefer (author of carb nite and carb backloading) and I like his quote, "vegetables are only useful as a vessel for butter." There is a lot more science to that than you think.

Haha. I like that.

DareToBeGymnast

Haha. I like that.

give me an example of cooking my veggies with butter. i mean a recipe for example, if you could :)

DareToBeGymnast

Mushrooms fried in salt and butter. Maybe not the healthiest thing but it is dam delicious ;)

i bet it is.... :ph34r:

Damon Amato

give me an example of cooking my veggies with butter. i mean a recipe for example, if you could :)

cut brussel sprouts in half, heat bacon grease in pan, place sprouts flat side down, add salt/pepper. Cook until golden on flat side.

Damon Amato

Mushrooms fried in salt and butter. Maybe not the healthiest thing but it is dam delicious ;)

In the proper context it's very healthy.

DareToBeGymnast

cut brussel sprouts in half, heat bacon grease in pan, place sprouts flat side down, add salt/pepper. Cook until golden on flat side.

does this work with baby spinach too? or tomatoes etc

Damon Amato

yes, but I hate the texture of cooked spinach.  To me the only benefit is that heated spinach has more potassium.  I forgot to mention I like to add pistachios for some crunch as well.  Have you tried kale chips?

DareToBeGymnast

yes, but I hate the texture of cooked spinach.  To me the only benefit is that heated spinach has more potassium.  I forgot to mention I like to add pistachios for some crunch as well.  Have you tried kale chips?

kale is found in special markets in greece, so i haven't tried it yet.Also, what butter are you using for cooking veggies? And as for bacon, you mean the original pork bacon slices?

Edited by DareToBeGymnast

Damon Amato

I use regular salted butter.  I read a study recently that compared grass-fed butter to conventional butter and there was almost no difference chemically between the two.  I don't think they compared omega-3 content but right now it doesn't appear (in my opinion) that it's worth the extra money.

On the other hand, I do try to get my butter from casein A2 cows. 2000 years ago northern European cows suffered a mutation.  Casein A2 (which we are not allergic to) became casein A1.  Casein A1 in the small intestine transforms into Beta Caseomorphin, a strong lectin that mimics beta cells in the pancreas.  

And yes, actual real bacon.  I have a wife and two little kids.  We got through about 2-4lb of bacon a week.

A while ago, I read that butter contains 10 vitamins, 10 minerals, 18 amino acids, and 11 kinds of fat.  One of the most surprising things I've read

DareToBeGymnast

FEEDBACK for my IF experience.

I went through a week of IF 16/8, eating 2300 calories with macros being 180 protein 230 barbs and 80 fats. My bodyfat dropped INSANELY, but i couldn't sleep at nights :P very impressive results, but i couldn't stand it. now i just eat the same calories throughout the whole day whenever i am hungry, and it feels just nice. you can check what i am eating throughout a day here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/PanosLanis

Kamali Downey

I use regular salted butter.  I read a study recently that compared grass-fed butter to conventional butter and there was almost no difference chemically between the two.  I don't think they compared omega-3 content but right now it doesn't appear (in my opinion) that it's worth the extra money.

On the other hand, I do try to get my butter from casein A2 cows. 2000 years ago northern European cows suffered a mutation.  Casein A2 (which we are not allergic to) became casein A1.  Casein A1 in the small intestine transforms into Beta Caseomorphin, a strong lectin that mimics beta cells in the pancreas.  

And yes, actual real bacon.  I have a wife and two little kids.  We got through about 2-4lb of bacon a week.

Do you know what brands of butter are from a2 cows? Curious to know.....

Also grass fed butter can be had for very cheap, look for the kerrygold irish butter, the cream is from 100 grassfed cows, I regularly find it 8 oz for $2.99

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.