Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hand numbness and tingling from beginning handstands

Contacts10

Hi all,

I recently began practicing handstands daily about three weeks ago. Each day I have been holding a handstand against the wall for about 40-60 seconds, resting about a minute, and repeating twice more. I have noticed steady improvement in my holding times. Occasionally I would do a few holds later in the day for about 30 seconds with longer rest.

Two days ago I noticed some pain in the bottom of my left palm while holding the handstand. It felt like little daggers were shooting into the bottom of my palm. Yesterday I noticed it again, with the shooting pain returning whenever weight and pressure was applied to the hand (handstands, holding the top of a push-up position). Now there is a feeling of mild numbness and tingling in the lower part of my palm.

Do you think I have gone too fast with the handstands and injured a tendon? My workout regimen for the last year has involved pushups, planks, and light yoga throughout the week, so the wrists bearing weight is not new. My symptoms seem to point to carpal tunnel syndrome but I'm hoping that isn't the case. 

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

Carmen Schult

try to rest some days and don't train every day in the beginning. try it with every other day or so. i don't think you have an injured tendon yet as you obviously feel this pain for the first time. just don't train through the pain. let it rest until it's gone.

the numbness is probably due to insufficient mobility in the hands to arms to shoulders so work on that.

both, wrist preparation and shoulder mobility preparation is found in the handstand 1 course

• Upvote 1

Thanks for your reply. I've rested it for about a week and there is still some mild tingling when I put weight on it. I plan to keep resting it and begin mobility drills. Hopefully this clears up soon!