Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

intermittent fasting and GST

DareToBeGymnast

Luka Kopusar

daniel i think u are overthinking and complicating. Just try it. IF can't really be told in words, some love it and others don't see the point in it. I guess with your last sentence you answered yourself. :)

Murray Truelove

I need to see convincing evidence of sustained IF with an active lifestyle. 1hr a day workout is not active. I have hear of isolated days and such but seriously can't imagine getting enough food during those hours unless I dedicate the time to stuffing my face and reviving wallowing with a full feeling.

That makes sense, I can find eat 2400 calories a bit much sometimes I couldn't imagine having to eat 3000+, I suppose if you made an effort to eat a lot of calorie dense food like coconut and avocado etc, it would be a lot more manageable.

As I understand IF (lean gains specifically) the protocol works best with 3 workout days a week and only one heavy session on each day. I'm not sure how adaptable it is to those who are very active. The leangains website blog might have more info and Mark usually quotes his resources.

IF isn't for everyone and everything. You could always try it and see.

Jan Reipert

I need to see convincing evidence of sustained IF with an active lifestyle. 1hr a day workout is not active. I have hear of isolated days and such but seriously can't imagine getting enough food during those hours unless I dedicate the time to stuffing my face and reviving wallowing with a full feeling.

8 hours are more than enough time to get all the calories in the world. basically you just skip your breakfast and add those calories to the rest of your meals.

Murray Truelove

does it make a huge difference in training if you don't eat after your work out?

It's believed you're more likely to cannibalise muscle if you don't refeed afar a workout, BCAA supplements can help prevent this though. This may be broscience.

LeanGains uses bodybuilding if I remember.

I have a buddy who does a few intermittent worksout a day. Doesn't seem to ever be over an hour, basically 20-45 minutes but he probably does 2-3 sessions a day. Outdoor run/MovNat, gym session, martial arts.

That I think is feasible.

It got annoying to do IF and bonk in the gym doing SnCJ and barbell strength work before 2 hours. Started adding in some fruit during besides the whey preworkout.

I think it might be easier to do with just slower strength work but I don't think it'll work well with the dynamic stuff. At least not in high volume. "Minimal" fitness maybe but not sure about HIT or CF. Seems to work fine for runners but that's primarily the aerobic pathway.

Damon Amato

I think with your lifestyle, you're much better off following carb backloading.  I think the literature shows the length of the 16 hour fast is a bit too long before muscle starts to breakdown, however you can create the same hormonal environment by having a pure fat load (heavy cream/coconut oil/MCT oil in coffee).  I personally wouldn't attempt to fast more than 12 hours during a training cycle.

Daniel Burnham

For myself I am quite well tuned. According to calipers I am around 9 percent bodyfat and still dropping while gaining weight. It is actually difficult to get measurements but I don't really care to get a dexa scan.

I do carbs surrounding workouts and some in my last meal bed depending on activity level. Currently I am eating 4 meals a day. Each with a little carb but not much until workout.

My workouts are generally 3 hours one hour being strength work. I bike at least a few miles a day and walk quite a bit. On weekends I bike at least 10 miles often paddleboard and sometimes rock climb or hike.

I am more interested in IF just in an academic sense and how it can be used for those who are already active.

Jeremy Huston

There are different IF templates.  Some use 20/4.  Others use 16/8.  Maybe 14/10 or 12/12 could be useful too.  It could provide a bigger window for someone like Daniel to get more calories in.

The theory behind IF states that food in the digestive tract is available for energy for 12 hours after eating, I believe. So 12/12 would be useless, and 14/10 would only have half the effect of 16/8; at that point, the gain is so small one has to wonder why it's even worth bothering.

Quick Start Test Smith

I really enjoy IF. I IF about 4-5 days a week (during the work week), and my eating time is from 2-10PM. 

My question is, I would much rather train in the morning when the gym is less crowded and I can get it out of the way - would it hurt my progress to train fasted and then not have my first meal until 2PM (eggs, bacon, and veggies)?

Would really appreciate imput on this.

Thanks,

Noah

Noah, you don't have to fast from bedtime to some time the next day. It's easier for most people to sleep with they are satiated however, you could fast from 12 pm to whatever time in the morning you want to train. You're just shifting your eating window around, the effect is the same I think. Also, everyone is different. You don't have to do  a 16/8 or a 20/4 as if those particular numbers are going to make a huge difference. Try 15/9, 17/7, 18/6, etc. Make the numbers work for you :)

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.