Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

intermittent fasting and GST

DareToBeGymnast

DareToBeGymnast

As the title says....What is your opinion about those two together guys? i think of IF as the most difficult "diet" of all.

• Upvote 1

Jon Douglas

I think of it as the easiest.

It didn't work for me. Felt like I was starving and binging to get anywhere close to my broad calorie targets for the day, given my activity levels. We've done a fair bit of discussion on IF on this forum if you poke around a little :)

I do intermittent fasting, but I'm not sure how much it does compared to just regular old calorie counting. I've also only cut weight with it, I'm a beginner who started obese and haven't yet reached my first bulking stage.

It's also annoying, because unlike regular strength training, I don't have time to cook food during sets in Foundation, so I have to start cooking after my workout's already over. Of course, if you're determined, that won't stop you. Just a bit of an anecdote.

Murray Truelove

I do leangains (16-8), only because it helps me count calories. You get used to it, I even did 20-4 but it just made having lunch with fiends difficult.

I wouldn't say it difficult at all, only habit.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Svensson

It's also annoying, because unlike regular strength training, I don't have time to cook food during sets in Foundation, 

Say what?  :blink:

• Upvote 2

StretchArmstrong

I do leangains (16-8), only because it helps me count calories. You get used to it, I even did 20-4 but it just made having lunch with fiends difficult.

I wouldn't say it difficult at all, only habit.

^ same here. the 16/8 approach to IF is what I've seen the best results with.  It's really not that hard after a week or so of getting used to not eating breakfast and having a late lunch.  If you stop eating an hour or two before bed, then sleep for 8 hours, (and wake around 7 am) you can start eating again around 1 or 2 pm.  Not that bad really.  I like having a small salad or a light snack as my late "lunch".  Then feast for dinner.  Keeps your calories in check, still able to hit all your macros, and you're burning fat the whole day.  Just takes a little getting used to.

Edoardo Roberto Cagnola

I wanna know something from who have tried the 16/8 version.. Do you train during the fasting window? I usually train after a pretty heavy carbs breakfast, but I would like to make that my post workout meal.. Does the empty stomach affect the performance (and the long term muscle building)?

Briac Roquet

I used to do the 16/8 approach too. Thing is, I train in the morning and I do feel a difference if I have breakfast before the workout. If you trian later in the day, it shouldn't be too big of a problem.

Murray Truelove

Training fasted is fine (I prefer to have eaten before though) but if you train at say 8am and you're not breaking your fast till 2pm it's recommended you take a BCAA to prevent muscle breakdown.

It's really only a tool for calorie control. By 2pm I normally know whether or not I'm going out for dinner/drinks later so I can adjust my calorie intake accordingly.

DareToBeGymnast

i fast 8pm to 12pm(next day)=16 hrs. i just make sure that i wake up at 12 so that i can have my "breakfast" before i workout at 14:00. i think it will work...

I do intermittent fasting, but I'm not sure how much it does compared to just regular old calorie counting. I've also only cut weight with it, I'm a beginner who started obese and haven't yet reached my first bulking stage.

It's also annoying, because unlike regular strength training, I don't have time to cook food during sets in Foundation, so I have to start cooking after my workout's already over. Of course, if you're determined, that won't stop you. Just a bit of an anecdote.

Say what?  :blink:

Oops, I meant to say BETWEEN sets. In regular strength training I'd have ~2 minutes break between sets, so I can use that to do stuff like stir a pot or put something in the oven. So I could start food about halfway through my workout, and it'd be done at the same time I was. In Foundation, each element can take up to ~8 minutes of solid work, and then I'm supposed to rush off to the next element ASAP, only stopping to set up anything I need for it, or grabbing a quick drink of water. No time to do cooking tasks there.

Alexander Svensson

Oops, I meant to say BETWEEN sets. In regular strength training I'd have ~2 minutes break between sets, so I can use that to do stuff like stir a pot or put something in the oven. So I could start food about halfway through my workout, and it'd be done at the same time I was. In Foundation, each element can take up to ~8 minutes of solid work, and then I'm supposed to rush off to the next element ASAP, only stopping to set up anything I need for it, or grabbing a quick drink of water. No time to do cooking tasks there.

Yeah I figured that's what you meant. I just never heard of someone cooking while working out before  :D

Yeah I figured that's what you meant. I just never heard of someone cooking while working out before  :D

Weird. It just seemed the logical thing to do. "Hmm, for the next hour I'm performing an activity with frequent breaks, while hungry, and it's good to eat shortly afterwards. I should cook during my workout!"

Daniel Burnham

IF has never worked for me. I was never able to get enough calories in during the windows without just doing a lot of dairy and other high calorie but fairly low nutrient foods.

I am much happier eating full meals of veggies and meats as often as I feel hungry now. Only exemption is sometimes I sprint on Saturday morning and forgo breakfast. This is mainly to stimulate growth hormone. I then eat a monster load of carbs as a weekend reward.

• Upvote 2

Luka Kopusar

i do IF (16/8) and do fasted training. After months now, i just really like the clarity that comes with not eating breakfast, but it depends from person to person. I also follow a low carb/paleo, with a bit more carbs on training days and i feel just great :)

Sometimes it's not easy to follow IF, i.e. parties or late-night get-togethers. But I've noticed the best results in fat loss and general body composition while recently applying IF with carb backloading. I also used to train fasted, and I felt the best while training fasted, but now my schedule had to be re-arranged. When uni starts, I will train fasted again.

P.S. I used to train from 5AM-6AM, eat my first meal at 11-12AM, then finish my eating window at 7-8PM

Aaro Helander

Been doing some form of IF for over two years now. Right now I follow mostly a 20/4 window since I'm cutting. Summer heat + 20/4 can be a kill though! The massive heat wave hitting you when trying to get sleep is something overwhelming at times, so some adjustments are required here and there.

IF is really just a tool to be used when it suits you.

Daniel Burnham

Has anyone used IF effectively with a very active lifestyle? It seems to work well for those who are mostly sedentary with a short workout a day.

Aaro Helander

Has anyone used IF effectively with a very active lifestyle? It seems to work well for those who are mostly sedentary with a short workout a day.

I've done multiple three hour workouts coupled with high spontaneous activity levels the same day completely fasted. I rarely notice any performance drop as long as I get enough calories in the evening to load up for the next day.

We have a term coined with my friends called "Workout remorse" for being able to workout with high intensity and for a long time while being fasted, because "this should not be happening"  :D

Edited by Helander

Guest Nino Begovic

Weird. It just seemed the logical thing to do. "Hmm, for the next hour I'm performing an activity with frequent breaks, while hungry, and it's good to eat shortly afterwards. I should cook during my workout!"

Man I just love that! We should totally start a gym together!  :D

Nigel Leeming

You do get used to fasting and calorie cutting. I did a climbing competition a few weeks ago which started at 6pm and finished at 10. I'd been fasting for a few weeks, eating and drinking only between 9pm and 3am, so my day was breakfast at 3am, sleep till 7, morning work, wander around Norwich(UK) all afternoon with my daughter, start climbing 6pm, snack & drink at 9pm. Competition finished 10pm. I Still managed 2nd overall despite no food or drink for 18 hours, and I can't say it affected me at all other than being a little dry.

Toni Laukkavaara

You do get used to fasting and calorie cutting. I did a climbing competition a few weeks ago which started at 6pm and finished at 10. I'd been fasting for a few weeks, eating and drinking only between 9pm and 3am, so my day was breakfast at 3am, sleep till 7, morning work, wander around Norwich(UK) all afternoon with my daughter, start climbing 6pm, snack & drink at 9pm. Competition finished 10pm. I Still managed 2nd overall despite no food or drink for 18 hours, and I can't say it affected me at all other than being a little dry.

Sounds... awfull :(

Noah Schettini

I really enjoy IF. I IF about 4-5 days a week (during the work week), and my eating time is from 2-10PM. 

My question is, I would much rather train in the morning when the gym is less crowded and I can get it out of the way - would it hurt my progress to train fasted and then not have my first meal until 2PM (eggs, bacon, and veggies)?

Would really appreciate imput on this.

Thanks,

Noah

Daniel Burnham

I need to see convincing evidence of sustained IF with an active lifestyle. 1hr a day workout is not active. I have hear of isolated days and such but seriously can't imagine getting enough food during those hours unless I dedicate the time to stuffing my face and reviving wallowing with a full feeling.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.