Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need some basic exercises. can anyone help me out?

SaNdMaN

i tried the back lever tuck on XR and i couldn't even get into the position, tried to do Front lever tuck on pull up bar; same deal, Tried to do the headstand.....that wasn't too pretty, however, i am pretty decent for a beginner when it comes to positions such as Frog Stand or i can do a decent amount of pull ups as well too. I do martial arts so i guess you can say I'm somewhat in shape, but i need extreme basics, my balance is terrible, even just holding my self up with the XR's wouldn't be too bad for me; challenges my strength and balance. The only equipment i have are the dvd's, book, XR's, and Iron Gym-Xtreme (link at bottom page). I can get a pair of parallels that barely come off the ground if neccessary, just tell me what to do! [please :)] I started today and will continue when i get a reply, can someone give me some basic exercises (if willing to, a routine would be nice :) !!) Thanks alot!!

http://www.asseenontvguys.com/productim ... xtreme.jpg

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1794

I still think you should work jump to support on the rings, even if they are momentary holds. Don't consider it strength work, consider it skill work. You could learn and start off with support in a pushup position and doing pushups on the rings instead. You just haven't trained those stabilizing muscles yet.

What are your goals. I don't really like creating routines for people but if you specify those goals, I may be willing. However, I tend to only create a program for a well rounded basics beginner program because these are what I think need to be worked. Specify how much time you have to workout and where you are and want to do and we can help you out more.

you think being able to support my self for about 60 seconds would be good enough? i am ableto support my self for about 20-25 seconds

for now how much time should i be spending on practicing to support my self? how often?

for a goal, i would like to perform a full planche; it may be a long term goal but it will keep me working. Whatever training is necessary for this technique i am willing to do.

i would say i have 4 days a week to workout. If more is needed please inform me.

I am 5'10 and weigh 170 lbs. When it comes to strength i can do about 10 pullups, When it comes down to balance i can hold the frog stand for about 10 seconds.

I really appreciate your time, thanks a lot.

You have 4 days a week to workout. How much time. I use that as a guide to figure out warmup and cooldown times besides rest time.

What are you interested in doing for leg strength? KB work, sprints, Barbell lifting/Oly lifting, something along the lines of GymnasticBodies aka BW lower body strength/power workouts? Do you have any weights at home, DB or a bar?

You can support yourself on rings for 20-25 seconds? That sounds fair enough.

For your levers, I think you should either hold them at a higher angle that you can hold or look into putting your feet on something like a chair or bench or table or using a weight band for a self spot. If this still doesn't work out, use front and back lever negatives in a tuck from the inverted position.

In the skills portion of your workout, add 10 support holds on rings or do them in a pushup position or do them with the tips of your toes still on the ground. Work 10 HS holds off the wall or 5 kick to handstand holds and 5 HS holds on the wall.

I personally would split up your frogstand work into 1/2 of it being frogstands and 1/2 of it being simply leaning forward in a pushup position getting to know how it feels to lean the shoulders forward. You can put your feet on something higher than ground if you wish but that does make it harder.

My workouts are generally 90 to 120 minutes now but that's also because I do a bunch of FX work and some swing on apparatus. Not much really but 2 or 3 sets of stuff on PH, PB, and SR.

Warmup:

Band/stick dislocates 10.

deck squats to candlestick ( inverted shoulderstand ) 5-10

10 lunges on each leg

5 yoga pushup thingies.

active flex for pike and straddle. sit on butt, hands between crotch for straddle, fingertips by knees for pike, lift heels off ground 10x, hold for 10s. i generally have the boys do at least 10 or 10 up to 30 or 30s

butterfly

leg swings, 7-10 front and back, side to side in front of body

neck circles and hip circles, 10x

heel lifts 5 and 5. do these with the heels hanging off something like a big stack of books or something. then do with toes hanging off

shoulder shrug circles backwards and forward-10x

wrist stuff

pushup to metacarpalphalangeal ridge ( where your palm ends and finger start, you can use your thumb to support )

back of hand pushup to fist 5x

if you have shoulder problems that could be helped by external rotation do 5 cuban presses really light weight. these can be done without weight if need be but i like 3-5lb DB

you can do bridging now or bridging at the end

WU is probably 15-20m. I like the catalyst athletics Performancemenu WU as well http://performancemenu.com/wod/video/CAStandardWarmup.mov But I sub the wrist stretches for the gymnastics wrist prep

WU with 3 wall HS. Find a good comfortable time.

3-5 HeS attempts against the wall. If you can do this, simply get into a pushup position. then stick your butt as high in the air as possible while walking your toes close to your feet. place your head down on the floor in front of your hands to make a triangle position with your hands. simply get used to holding the pressure on your head without craning your neck or tucking your chin in while keeping your toes on the floor and butt high in the air. eventually play with taking toes off ground by tapping off one at a time.

5-10 attempts to kick to a HS. err on the side of caution and focus on kicking one leg to just under vertical while the bottom leg only hops a few inches. look up drilsandskills.com article on handstands

5-10 attempts at a ring support. eventually you can work ring support for 5s, lower down through the dip

5 skin the cats. you may skip FL and BL strength work if you wish by doing 10 skin the cats. look up drillsandskills.com ring article for a description. basically a 360 in tucked position

4d a week work 30s of volume of frogstand and 5 leaning pseudo planche pushup position leans or 30s more. test both and do 50% volume. Use at least 1m rest periods. Try the planche hold, then FL or BL. whichever one is hardest goes first. 45-90s rest periods.

work 5 FL and BL negatives or attempted holds at a higher angle than horizontal to sub out FL and BL tuck holds

pair with 3-5 sets of 3-5 reps of some sort of pushing, pulling, and core exercise that is appropriate. allow one minute of rest afterwards and about 5-10s in between exercise. i currently alternate HSPU, dips, and pushups for pushing and pullups, horizontal rows and inverted pullups. adjust per necessary progression.

you could also pair 3 rounds of static holds+an accessory exercise. After each hold+accessory exercise, rest 1-2m.

2d a week for leg strength. 1d a week work SLS or both days if you prefer. the other day work deck squat variant. team with something like floor glute ham. 3 sets of 5

2d a week work leg power. something like depth jumps or standing vertical jumps or box jumps. you can also use these to form as a metcon or use tabata sets. 6-8 sets of work for 20s followed by a 10s rest. sprinting works very well too

current i work mon leg power, tu leg strength, thu leg strength, fri leg power. if 4d a week of legs is too much for you, scale down to 1d of leg strength, 1d of leg power, and perhaps 1 day of a metcon. no idea where you are strength wise. metcon is not necessary if you don't want to, but i need some metcon for myself. last night i worked leg power for sprints with rest period and then did a metcon

end with stretching, shoulder and wrist mobility and bridging be it bridge wall walks or bridge holds.

Blairbob, I do not understadn this set of instructions:

active flex for pike and straddle. sit on butt, hands between crotch for straddle, fingertips by knees for pike, lift heels off ground 10x, hold for 10s. i generally have the boys do at least 10 or 10 up to 30 or 30s

Joshua Naterman
Yes, like sun salutations. My bastardized version of yoga.

http://drillsandskills.com/article/16

Look under, assistance exercises.

HAhahaha, awesome :) I love the word bastardized! Can you describe the active flex for the guys here? I think I understand. Basically, your butt stays on the ground but you use your hands as a base near the knees for the pike flex, so you can lift the legs off the ground into a pike while your butt is still down, so it's just lifting the legs. Am I understanding correctly?

Bingo. You can either lift the heels and legs up and hold or lift them up and down off the floor.