Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Right angle bar dips Vs Parallel bar dips

rubadub

Are there any pros & cons of right angle bar dips and parallel bar dips? By right angle bars I mean they are forming a V shape so the point of the V is in front of you. I can do far more dips on V shaped bars than parallel bars. Since the V tapers in you can get differing arm widths too. I seen some dip bar attachments for weightlifting power racks have slight angles like this mu0360_100.jpg

I am training mainly for a low level of hypertrophy so training for competing in parallel bars is not a concern. I am wondering if there are advantages to using the parallel bars or if there is any danger in using V shaped ones.

This is another V shaped station

fw333_th.jpg

Also is there any advantage do doing inclined or declined dips, like this guy.

power-rack-dips-finish.jpg

Notice the bars are higher behind his back. Also he is using the V in reverse.

Guest cccp21
Are there any pros & cons of right angle bar dips and parallel bar dips? By right angle bars I mean they are forming a V shape so the point of the V is in front of you. I can do far more dips on V shaped bars than parallel bars. Since the V tapers in you can get differing arm widths too. I seen some dip bar attachments for weightlifting power racks have slight angles like this mu0360_100.jpg

I am training mainly for a low level of hypertrophy so training for competing in parallel bars is not a concern. I am wondering if there are advantages to using the parallel bars or if there is any danger in using V shaped ones.

This is another V shaped station

fw333_th.jpg

Also is there any advantage do doing inclined or declined dips, like this guy.

power-rack-dips-finish.jpg

Notice the bars are higher behind his back. Also he is using the V in reverse.

Years ago Michael Yessis had a dip and chinning mechanism called "adjust a bar".

With more vaiation there can be more adaption correct?

Brandon Green

Coach Sommer

The primary reason for the V angled dip bars is to allow people of different sizes to easily select the width that is most appropriate for their own structure. The general rule of thumb is to use a width that is the same as the length of your arm from the tip of your elbow to the tip of your fingers.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

use a width that is the same as the length of your arm from the tip of your elbow to the tip of your fingers.

Thanks for that. There are bars in a park near me, one set is too wide and the other too narrow for my liking. I can get over 30dips on a V shaped bar and only about 18 on the parallel ones. So I will stick to the V shaped ones.

Also do you see any advantage in asymmetrical bars? like having one slightly higher than the other, or using different hand positions. I have seen a new device for training, it has bars which attach to it at varying heights for dips, pullups etc, and they were using bars at different heights as though it was beneficial.

I think another reason for the angle is to get the elbows out to the side. This is a bodybuilding thing and may originate with Gironda saying this isolated the pecs during dips. He advocated keeping the elbows out, "not even a little bit backward," the chin down, and the upper back rounded. I always thought these angled bars were meant to support that dip position (if you choose to use it). I'm not certain this notion started with Gironda.

Coach Sommer
I think another reason for the angle is to get the elbows out to the side.

Except for a few speciality dips (e.g. Bulgarian, Russian etc.), the vast majority of gymnastics dips should be performed with the elbows in a naturally neutral position. This is to facilitate the body's ability to perform the dips both into and out of various swinging elements.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since most of my dip training has been on declining/inclining parallel bars. I am finding the only benefits to using a decline or even an incline are:  1. Help develop shoulder strength for other skills like planche and front/back lever. 2. Make the forearm to bent arm transition of Russian dips harder or easier. (Harder if your hands are higher than your elbows and easier if your hands are lower than your elbows.) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...