Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Leg exercise-- Variations? Bulgarian split squats?Lunges etc

Airness

Hey guys,

I'm new to the gymnastic bodies 'community'. I just started training with bodyweight movements/gymnastic movements recently (whichever term is more fitting in this situation). I'm quite heavy for my height 5'10" (178cm) and 190lbs (86k). I don't really want to train with barbells and want ideas for workouts where I can do in a house or basically anywhere..

I've been trying the pistol one legged squats recently, it somehow hurts my left leg because I was born with my left leg 'aligned' inward, I try to consciously 'push' it outwards. It didn't cause much pain at all when I exercised however it has recently started to bother me when I tried the pistol squats. I'm wondering if there are any substitutes for one legged pistol squats-- bulgarian split squats (I'm fine with using dumbbells), lunges, hill sprints, car pushing (maybe)?

In the meantime I will try to correct my form for the one legged squats because it only hurts my left knee and it is quite frustrating.

Many thanks.

A bulgarian split squat might not be as hard on your knee because it does not go as deep. All those other SLS don't go to depth that SLS typically will go to.

You could try a SLS but instead of cantering the other leg in front of you, just let it hang. You'll have to do these on a box of some height. The other leg will simply hang.

Work partial ROM (graduated) SLS. Focus on just going to just above parallel or do the rock back SLS version.

How's a deck squat on your knee? You can weight these as well or just do the split squats or F/B squats.

A bulgarian split squat might not be as hard on your knee because it does not go as deep. All those other SLS don't go to depth that SLS typically will go to.

You could try a SLS but instead of cantering the other leg in front of you, just let it hang. You'll have to do these on a box of some height. The other leg will simply hang.

Work partial ROM (graduated) SLS. Focus on just going to just above parallel or do the rock back SLS version.

How's a deck squat on your knee? You can weight these as well or just do the split squats or F/B squats.

Thanks for the reply Blairbob. Is there anyway I can make bulgarian split squats more difficult to work on 'max strength' without external resistance or is adding weight the best option? The deck squats seem to be fine with my right leg but again, they hurt when I try them with my left leg... so that sucks lol.

Also, what are F/B squats? I'm assuming they are front/back squats, yes?

yeah, F/B means Front/Back relating to squats.

Umm, a deck squat is performed with both legs. Do they cause you pain in the left leg when doing them?

You're not gonna make Bulgarian Split Squats any more difficult than normal unless you go Ass2Ankles or weight them. This basically means you'll be doing it on some form of block and doing a SLS. In fact it probably hurt just as much as the "pistol" with the free leg counterbalanced forward.

I tried a deck squat with 2 legs down and 1 leg up, it didn't hurt when I did it with my right leg.

I also have tried bulgarian split squats, lunges and other unilateral exercises in the past. None of them hurt except the single legged squat which is very frustrating for me..

I do pretty much go ass 2 ankles with the bulgarian squats (weighted). I think I'm gonna stop doing the single leged squats until I correct the alignment of my left leg.

... Is there anyway I can make bulgarian split squats more difficult to work on 'max strength' without external resistance or is adding weight the best option? The deck squats seem to be fine with my right leg but again, they hurt when I try them with my left leg... so that sucks lol.

Also, what are F/B squats? I'm assuming they are front/back squats, yes?

You can make the BSS harder by elevating the squatting leg a bit. This increases the ROM. You can also make it harder by putting your free leg against a wall instead of on a bench, to give it less support. All that, or just use more weight.