Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Elbow Hypermobility and Planche Progression Safety

Max Amphlett

Max Amphlett

Hi,

I read coach Sommer's article on the front lever and planche progressions, and have just started training the basic lever progressions, but I have some hypermobility in my elbow joints: my elbows lock about five degrees beyond a straight line, and so I wanted to know whether straight-arm work like the planche progression is:

a) safely trainable for me,

and

b) if so, should I lock out my arms (coach Sommer's article states that bending the arms reduces the effectiveness of the exercise) or should I try to keep my arms straight (i.e. use muscular tension to deliberately keep them from hyperextending to full lock-out)?

I'd like to train both lever and planche progressions together as the article recommends, but if the planche progression does turn out to be contraindicated for me, then could anyone recommend another suitable pressing exercise/static hold that I could substitute to complement the front lever training?

Hi Max,

I'm not an expert but I believe that yes you can train these lock arm elements with hyperextension. I think some of Coach Sommers athletes have hyperextension for example the athlete in the manna video. I also believe that he has mentioned that he build up the athletes level of strength and joint integrity slowly over time so that they can safely train these elements. This is obviously best answered by coach though.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Max Amphlett

Thanks Rob,

I suppose I'm just a bit wary of jumping in too quickly and damaging my joints; I guess the real question I'm asking is whether or not to lock my arms during the hold; it makes sense to me that slow, careful progression in such an exercise could actually end up protecting the joints by strengthening the associated muscles, rather than damaging them (I learned single-leg squats very gradually with that idea in mind, and my knees have never felt better).

For the time being, I'm going to try the planche progressions with my arms held straight; may not be so effective, but I'm aiming for a "happy medium" between damaging something and not progressing at all!

Coach Sommer

If you are exhibiting extreme degrees of hypermobility in your elbow joints, than you would be best served at this point in time by focusing on FBE and other static positions other than the planche progressions.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer