Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stalled with exercises...need help

RogueSpirit

RogueSpirit

I hate asking such a noob question but here it goes.

I have been working out steadily for about a year and a half. I havent been very consistant with any program but mainly just going on what felt good for the day. I started playing with gymnastic progressions since I read Coach's articals on the dragondoor forum and really started working the progressions when this forum went live.

I started working on the muscle up and am now wondering if I need a more solid base before progressing to that. So far I can do 12 ead hang pull ups if I give it balls to the wall effort but after the first set, it ruins me for the others. I then might only get like 8,6,5,5,4,4, etc. I have tried several different methods of upping my numbers but I still keep hanging around the same 12 rep max. I feel like I stalled. I was even doing weighted pull ups for like 4x3 with 25lbs.

Should I try to get more reps/set (ie. 3-5x10) before try to progress to MU or would adding weight and keeping with the low voume work better?

I'm also doing 5x2 with HSPU with my hands on cinder blocks. Should I try to get more volume (3x8-10) on HeSPU before moving to these or just stick with what Im doing.

Last question...Im I just expecting too much for the time that I've been training? I saw another post where someone mentioned working for almost 2 years on the planche and finally nailed a straddle.

Rogue

Thanks for any kind of advice. Im curious at to what others have done to progress along

The muscle up is not so much about pull up strength but more about the transition i would say.. Practice with elastic bands or spotters to go trough the transition, and do negatives and remember you need to use false grip.

Planche can take a long time, that is planche.

MU are about a deep pull and a deep dip. I tell Erik, pull to the nipples. Actually pull past. Sternum works as well.

Not sure what your BW is, but a 25lb weighted pullup for 4x3 isn't super strong. It ain't bad and might be enough.

For myself, I have found the deep dip to be hardest part especially as my ring dip numbers weren't that stellar. Before I hurt my chest, I was around 15 ring dips on long straps.

I found success going back and working support lower to false grip negatives for 5-7s. Because typically the rings are low, you have to transition into an L when in the false grip. You can also just try to play with the transition part by resting in the bottom of the dip, transitioning into the false grip slowly. As well, I work a lot of false grip pullups, either in dead hang or L. Right now, these aggravate my chest a bit but doing strict ChestToBar pullups don't.

Test yourself on how many CTB PU you can do. Typically my work sets are now around 5. I haven't tested to see how many I can do fresh in one max set. My max pullups on rings a few weeks ago was around a dozen. Bar is about the same. I think if I want to increase, I'm going to have to start working a lot of volume pullups above 50 per work out or so, but my focus lately has been CTB PU ( typically 3-5 sets ).

Most of the Steady State Cycle programming is doing work sets that are 50% of your max. This goes for the static holds or the exercises that move through a ROM ( dips, pushups, pullups, etc ). If your max is 12, your workset would be 6. If your max hold was 12s, your work sets would be sets of 6s to total 60s of volume.

If you can do 8-10 reps of HeSPU it would be time to move on to the elevated block HSPU if...

If 2 is your max, then your reps would be one. Adjust the blocks so you can do 2-3. If 2-3 is your max, then the program would state that is too much. Adjust the blocks so your max is 4-5 then use 50% workload per sets.