Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strength from hollow hold - transferable?

Farid Mirkhani

Farid Mirkhani

To other core movements?

When I first started with bodyweight training, I did hanging knee raises on a stall bar. Made progress and was able to lift straight legs a little below paralell. Then I stopped doing this exercise a for a month or so and worked on hollow body hold. A week ago I tried hanging leg lifts again and was able to with control lift dramatically above parallel and even pause for a sec.

I thought open core strength and compression strength were two different animals?

GoldenEagle

They are different from one another yet we all need both for different individual tasks and or sequentially when needed.

Open core strength is needed for tasks that require an straight body line. Compression strength is needed for tasks that require the body to be in a piked or tuck position.

• Upvote 1

Farid Mirkhani

So i suppose a tuck front lever would help your compression strength more so than a full front lever? :S

Alexander Egebak

So i suppose a tuck front lever would help your compression strength more so than a full front lever? :S

I would like to know this too.

GoldenEagle

Anything held in a tuck or pike position will help develop compression strength. To make a pike position flatter and a tuck position tighter compression strength is needed.

Manna is a compressed pike position. 

Triple and quadruple front or back tuck or pike position flips are a result of the body rotating faster because the tuck/pike compression is stronger.

Edited by GoldenEagle

Jon Douglas

You're forgetting the active flexibility component of compression. Its not as simple as just ab strength, although thats one factor. In tuck fl gravity is helping you compress, so although you might strengthen your hips to an extent it is not a great active flexibility drill

It sounds to me like your experience here was the result of plain getting stronger, maybe loosening up some. Unless you were overnight able to go from stuck-at-L to full hll with toes under the bar, nothing mysterious has happened here :)

Marios Roussos

I agree with Jon, the tuck FL won't tax your compression strength. If you're able to curl up on the floor, you're able to curl up while hanging from a bar. The real limitation is whether you can hold your torso up at that angle, and that has much more to do with your lats and teres major muscles. When you extend the FL out to more advanced variations, it will tax your ability to hold a hollow, but it definitely does not require much in the way of compression strength, which is why we also have hanging leg lift progressions. 

Exercises like hollow bodys are more for the transverse abs and exercises like hanging leg lifts are more hip flexors